sketchup

Discussion in 'Research and Development' started by ish311, Oct 5, 2014.

1. ish311

ish311 Active Member

anyone here actually use it. i got it as it was $50 with a student id not the $140 that solidworks is but i'm reallly missing my sweeps.......
    how do you actually sweep in sketchup regardless how many tutorials i watch mine just won't work the same way. it grabs things so weird it is painfull.....

trying to model a shimakaze and possibly break it in 2 to see how much it would cost to have 3d printed at shapeway. probably wayyy to much but having the model will be handy regardless

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Sweep? I use Sketchup a lot, but I don't know what sweeping is...

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

sweeping... forming a 3d object by "sweeping" a 2d outline along a line, curve, etc. This may include shape changes, size changes, etc. along the way. Properly done, it can be very helpful for forming a 3d hull. I don't know how to do it in sketchup either, that may be a feature only available in the full version. Then again, I still have a lot to learn about sketchup...

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Haven't done that in Sketchup, although I can do it in my real CAD program. Real CAD much harder to use than Sketchup, though.

5. ish311

ish311 Active Member

as far as i can tell in sketchup you can do a follow me sweep but cannot change the angle without alot of manual input.