Smack Thread

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by Chris Easterbrook, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

In Canada seeing an Axis ships floating after a battle is normal because the allies are all on the bottom, here you see very few NC's Sodaks, and such so the most common Allied boat is a QE or smaller allied cruisers. Not much of a match for the Bismarcks, Yamato's Nagato's or Scharhorst's.

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Beating up on cruisers = bragging rights for axis capital ship captains. Hmmm.

Isn't that like winning the special olympics?

That being said, I've given some thought to building an Atlanta class ship just for battleship slaying should I decide to battle to a fast gun ruleset again. 2 half unit rip guns in the 5" wing turrets angled out 15 degrees, a single 1 unit stern gun and a .5 unit pump. Run it like a biggun torpedo cruiser and blow quarter sized holes in the waterline, then run away at 23 seconds. Byebye Bismarck.

3. Chris Easterbrook

just hope the Bismark does not get to you. From what I have heard the IRCWCC is voting on making the Bismarcks a 7 unit ship something we up here did 3 years ago, making them a big porcupine. you would not get away as easlily as you think.

4. crzyhawk

With a quarter sized hole in the waterline they wouldn't stay afloat long enough to kill me. 25 rounds isn't going to make or break anything. Remember, class 2's are 23 seconds as well, so I'd have the speed advantage that class 3 cruisers don't presently have.

5. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hi.
    Just thought I would put up a couple pics of the fleets here in Halifax.

Here is the might Axis Squadron #5...
    [​IMG]
    And here is the Allied Fleet...
    [​IMG]
    NUFF SAID!!
    J

6. Chris Easterbrook

Jay the allies ran in fear as they always do.

7. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Scharnhorst is such a fine ship!

8. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

All that proves is that the allies have enough sense to get out of the rain.

9. Chris Easterbrook

You don't just fight wars when everything is hunky dorey! It's just like an allied capt to think that way.

10. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Typical Allied thinking:
    We'll drop shells down on them as thick as rain.
    After a week, we'll stop shooting and climb out of our trenches.
    We'll form up into neat, parade-ground lines and walk very slowly at their trench.
    They'll have been thoroughly soaked by the rain of shells and there won't be anyone left to oppose us.
    It'll be a glorious victory: we'll just march over them and we'll face no opposition.
    If we meet a single enemy soldier, we'll be doomed to defeat.
    We know we can't take an nearly-even-odds fight.
    *cough*Somme*cough*

11. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Crzyhawk, that Atlanta idea of yours sounds very interesting. Let me know how it works out. I'm especially curious how well those spurt guns will penetrate, given their probable angle of impact.

And now, back to the smack talk.

12. crzyhawk

pffft. The Allied captains had missions to perform. The axis ships cruising around in their fjord is of little concern.

As for the Atlanta, I will definitely post my results if I ever build her. The spurt guns are not legal in Treaty though on anything over class 1 (Basically destroyers and a few other ships) so I'd only be building her to run in a standard fast gun battle, which I don't see in my future at the moment. I'd never say never though. As for the angle of impact, I'd think that the angle of approach would play heavily into that. I've also had good success with bad angle shots with my Salem, which would give me hope. With the Salem if I "cross the T" at a right angle, it makes nice round holes in people. When I take bad angle shots, I tend to notice more gouges and tears. I was really surprised by the increased damage I got from rotten angles.

It's the kind of set up that would require a lot of patience to be effective with, but if you get on target...

13. Chris Easterbrook

Yes the angle of deflection would make a huge difference in what type of damage that you would cause with a cannon set up like that.

14. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

The next battle on my local club's schedule is a Last Man Standing. Axis or Allied, it doesn't matter, I get to sink 'em all. This is going to be fun :D MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

15. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Last Man Standing? I was just thinking how much good underwater footage we'd get if we mounted the camera to your boat. Too bad we'd miss out on most of the battle when you sink early...

16. Chris Easterbrook

I think not there will be more allied garbage scows on the bottom than axis ships which are far better ships.

17. Jay Jennings

Happy Hallowe'en to everyone, Axis and Allied alike!!!
    I hope you all have a great one and dress up and have fun. Here are my the costumes I am using...
    Can you guess what I am supposed to be?
    [​IMG]
    You're right!! An Allied captain!!
    How about this one...
    [​IMG]
    Right again! An Allied captain whining at the lake!!!
    Try this one...
    [​IMG]
    Wow, you guys are good!! Yup, an Allied captain after loading his boat!!
    Last one...
    [​IMG]
    Excellent, 4 for 4!!!! How an Allied captain feels at the lake with the Axis Big Dogs!!
    Can't fool you guys!!
    Happy Hallowe'en to you all!!!!!
    J

18. Chris Easterbrook

Yes Jay I think you may be on to something there.

19. Jay Jennings

WOW, no Allied smart arse remarks...oh yeah no smart Allied remarks at all.
    J