Small group of friends want to do big gun

Discussion in 'General' started by Connor, Aug 12, 2022.

1. Connor

Connor Member

So me, and 3 of my buddy's in Florida want to get into big gun, one of them want to arm the Yamato all up, anyone have tips or tricks for us that we must know? We all have a fleet of 3d printers and lathes and such.

Nibbles1 and darkapollo like this.
  2. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fun group!

3. Connor

Connor Member

They are

4. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

You asked a big question. I would start with posts by Kotori87 and BigGunJeff. They post on a variety of subjects, including cannon and parts files in the Resources section.

Battlers Connection and Model Ships Ahoy are both good sources for hulls. BC has a website while I believe MSA is on Facebook and eBay.

If he’s not already in your group, George Reborn is down your way, also. He already has a hull and cannon.

Welcome to the hobby!

Connor likes this.
  5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Hey Connor, I am travelling this weekend but I would love to talk with you as soon as I get back. I am on the R/C model warship combat discord, or you can drop me a pm, or we can arrange a phone call or video call.

Connor likes this.
  6. Connor

Connor Member

That's sounds awesome, I might be in the discord, otherwise I'll go ahead and join in lol.

7. Connor

Connor Member

Thanks for the advice, I tried to get my buddies into fast gun since I already have a ship, but they want "lots a pew pew" as they call it, but I have no knowledge on big gun, beyond the "bigger bb and thicker balsa".

8. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

Show them some videos of the two and see which pew pew they might prefer after watching a few.

And note - this is not to be prejudicial. It's just that the two formats are not the same, and expectations don't necessarily always match up with reality.

Using Kotori's videos:

Big gun:
    View: https://youtu.be/72lm84Z2d_U

Small gun:
    View: https://youtu.be/Nh49VgregRA

Both have their advantages and disadvantages, depending on your preferences and what you're into. Watch a bunch of his videos - I really like the FPV camera - show them to your friends, and see what you think.

Nibbles1 likes this.
  9. Connor

Connor Member

Yes I've already showed them a ton of these videos, they love that the turrets move and they all fire.

10. Nate G

Nate G Well-Known Member

Sigh. Sadly, those are very cool things. And yes, I have tried to include them in my builds. They are challenging for little practical use once you have experienced actual battles. They are - and this is important - things that can go wrong and stop your time on the water. Actual battlers have given up on this because maneuvering your ship turns out to be much more important. This and the lack of available cannons in all those big gun sizes is the reason almost NO battles exist yearly in Big Gun format. I fear you are setting yourselves up for failure.

Travel - and you will travel for events - NOW and experience first hand a weekend at a Big Gun event and an IR/CWCC event before investing time and money.

Nate Graham
    active battler since 2000

Connor likes this.
  11. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Most of what you say is true about Big Gun, but I find this part vary offensive. I spent yesterday actually battling, and maneuvering is very important part of Big Gun plus rotation, depression and aiming for shots more than 6" away. If I was this new group, I would do fast gun because it's much easier to get started (guns and all the parts).

Nibbles1 likes this.
  12. Connor

Connor Member

Yup I tried to get them to do fast gun, but oh well hopefully when they burn themselves they'll still be interested... *Sigh*

13. Commodore

Commodore Well-Known Member

I don't think Nate meant to say it in an offensive matter. Speaking for myself, I've been small gun for, well, decades and built two rotating turrets, because the rules required them for certain configurations back in the day. I wasn't happy with either of them, and now that the rules have been changed, I will probably never build one again.

So, not to knock the big gun guys, more power to ya.

Z Boat likes this.
  14. Kotori87

I am back in town now, so we can schedule a video call or similar to talk about things. I'll send you a PM. I am on the west coast time zone, so unless we call on the weekend it may be later in the evening for you.

Z Boat and Connor like this.
  15. Kotori87

Hey folks, I will be doing a little Q&A session about Big Gun combat tonight, starting at 8pm Eastern/5pm Pacific on the R/C model warship combat Discord voice chat. There will be videos, CAD show-and-tell, and a walkthrough of the fleet. The discord link is here:
    (chat is done)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    Xanthar, darkapollo and Connor like this.
  16. Xanthar

Xanthar Well-Known Member

So.. it's not like you actually *HAVE* to pick one or the other. Build fast gun style cannon to start with and use whatever rules you like : )

Z Boat and Connor like this.