smaller ship dimension exceptions?

Discussion in 'Washington Cascade Column' started by Reckless, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

so i've seen mention of some of the smaller hulls allowed 'discrepencies' with their hulls. I am wondering if there are any hard numbers for that?

I am intrested specifically in destroyers and submarines for this fact .. both below the water line hull allowances and control surface allowances (ie submarine dive planes)

I am expecting my 3d printer to show in the next month or two and am going to start doing some 3d modeling for ideas.

I fully understand that destroyers and subs are more novelty and not suggested for newbies (I have a couple cruisers in mind already). I was planning on building a sub and destroyer in 1/144 anyways so if I can work within the fast gun rules at the same time that would be great.

you guys are the closest club/ruleset to me (that I'm aware of) so on the hopes and dreams of maybe getting something running here or being able to make it to some battles with you guys, I throw myself to the mercy of your rules :D

thanks in advance

2. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

IRCWCC Construction Requirements Rule 18:

Class 2 and lower ships using CO2 may add 25% or one (1) pound (whichever is greater) to their maximum model weight, but they shall have a minimum of 1/2" of freeboard at the ship’s lowest point. Hull depth shall be adjusted as required.​

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Allowances in the rules for hull depth
    and shape, including a reference to running gear scale, which I would count a diveplane as
    On another note, since more people is always more fun, he hasn't been logged in recently, but you might try PM'ing @bugler - i believe he was in your area and interested earlier this year.

4. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

thanks guys :D somehow going through irc's ruleset I missed that :(

on a sidenote what is WCC's standing for "unfinished" boat's/refits of ww2? ... I will be doing a Tone in it's 'carrier' build later on, didn't see it in carrier form on IRC's ship list

5. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

and forgive the 'stupid' question... subs aren't on the 'approved' irc ship list (unless theres an updated one that's not on the site yet) ... what would the approved max weight of one?

6. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

full surface displacement in tons, convert to pounds, divide by 144, divide by 144, divide by 144

7. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

Slightly easier formula.... divide long tons by 1333 :)

8. ish311

ish311 Active Member

anything smaller than an I-400 or a Surcouf will be very difficult to make work in 1/144 if you want pictures the I-400 that frank has fits INSIDE my Shimakaze (well sits on top of it but is much shorter) and the Fletchers can sit halfway inside the Shima as well. Shimakaze is a very long destroyer but the lack of width makes getting the bits in and balanced hard.

9. Reckless

Reckless Active Member

so by the 'easy' formula .. 6,560 long tons (according to wiki) ... 4.9xxxx lbs model weight? ...

and yeah I'm very aware the size restrictions within a 1/144 I400/Argonaut/Scourcoff ... the last sub I did was 1/72 typeVIIC revell conversion which the size to the 1/144 "super subs' was nearly the same. I've got ideas that unfortunately only 'doing' will prove if they work or not

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  10. bugler

bugler Member

I am still alive and building slowly... but got busy with other life events etc.