SMS Derfflinger (IRCWCC) Build In Progress.

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Panzer, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

So, This is my first build that life seems to suddenly have given me some time to play with:woot::woot::woot:. I have been fiddling with this for a long time and now i would love any suggestions, Build recommendations, thoughts or comments any of you are willing to share. thank you in advance!! looking forward to seeing yall on the water. Craig battle ship 003.jpg battle ship 002.jpg battle ship 001.jpg

2. Panzer

Anyone want to show me how to wire fuses in for my motors and ESC? Do the fuses go between the motor and ESC? Or between Batteries and ESC? Or in a fashion i am completely missing??? I am running Johnson 550 motors With BC gearboxes. Any recommendations for Fuses and ESC are welcomed and links to them are rejoiced over! Thanks Craig

3. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

The (2) that are most commonly used are the Mtroniks. Mtroniks comes ready to go. It is made for boats, and is already potted in epoxy. $65.00
    http://www.strikemodels.com/products/speed-controllers

I am cheap so I am using the Hobby King ESC. It is made for cars, so you need to take the case off and pot in epoxy yourself. at $10.67 I pot up a spare and put it in the spares box.
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/..._X_Car_45A_Brushed_Car_ESC_AR_Warehouse_.html

Tugboat and Panzer like this.
  4. Panzer

5. Time Lapse

Time Lapse Member

Cool Ship, Any videos of her in the water ?

6. Panzer

Not yet, but she will be seeing the water a lot come springtime

7. daisycutter

daisycutter Active Member

Can u program out the brake? Fuse could=dead in the water. If you realllly have to have one go closer to the 45 amp rating. However for mtronics or hobbyking I do not trust their ratings . Ummmm it catches fire at 45amps so lets rate it there

8. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

If you run 1 esc per motor then fuse closer to the ESC rating. You can simplify your plan though by running both cans on 1 esc.

9. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Honestly the HK ESC are so cheap I can't think of a good reason to not go with two. Redundancy is always better. I don't think it is necessary to fuse them, it had been my experience that using fuses just leads to more problems

Lou likes this.
  10. Panzer

I received a Traxxus Stinger motor in the mail today, Wahooooo, My plan is to use it on the pump with the hope that it will help me stay on the water longer with out sinking or maybe use up all my ammo first before sinking....:woot::woot::D

11. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

DOWN BOY! Remember the best laid plans...are torn asunder by Mark and Kas

12. Panzer

Well than ill keep my Asunder near where i have my pump!:cool:

irnuke likes this.
  13. Panzer

So, after reading the info at the PPB site, for Pimping out your Pump(Thank you Bob and Tyler for making this available). I ran out to the garage and got to work on my pump. Pump 002.jpg
    Pump 003.jpg
    I disassembled the pump and began by sealing the old air inlet and drilled a new one in the top, balanced the impeller, used a little silicon to seal it up while installing the new motor after i soldered a couple caps on it. While working on the pump I thought i mite have heard some skittering around somewhere in the garage. I was planning on setting a couple traps after i put the pump up to dry. Turns out, I dont think traps will help:
    gremlins 004.jpg gremlins 002.jpg gremlins 005.jpg

I am in need of a sure fire way to rid my ship of gremlins!!!! All advice, recipes and Information is greatly appreciated and accepted.
    Thanks, Craig

14. NickMyers

Duct tape it to the mast

15. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

He looks a bit too big to be a Bridge Troll. Looks more like a Funnel Demon

16. Panzer

Well, more parts, pieces and ideas are accumulating, while I am trying to get the Water channelling in the hull. Have not made progress due to everyone else having bad days getting in the way my good days or something to that effect. So on to the good news! ESCs have arrived, Power poles are here, Noodle wire is in hand, New servos for everything as well!:woot::woot::woot:
    . derffy 004.jpg
    derffy 006.jpg

derffy 003.jpg
    derffy 008.jpg
    derffy 009.jpg
    What ever it is? It seamed to approve of the new pieces and parts! I doubt he is of the same Caliber as Chief Boat Inspector Tuxcat!, but hopefully some day in the near future he can get lessons from Tuxcat in person.
    I am planning on scotch coating the ESCs. Waterproofing the servos, Per Tugs tutorial https://rcwarshipcombat.com/threads/sb-101-building-mn-edgar-quinet.441667/page-16, Any reason to do it differently? Remove heat sink first? any suggestions?
    thanks craig.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  17. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Remove the heat sink 1st. Coating the heatsink w/ Scotchkote would be....counterproductive.

18. NickMyers

Yes, but not as counterproductive as covering the contact surfaces that the heatsink is meant to cool - so be careful with the skotchkote

19. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I've been dribbling West Systems epoxy in the gaps between the ESC proper and the heatsink. It takes a few times to get it thoroughly potted in there, but I'm on the '10 minutes to victory' plan, so 3 applications is easy to do without affecting the weekend build sessions...

Panzer likes this.
  20. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

Craig,
    She's a cute ship!
    Nikki