SMS Moltke

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by NickMyers, Oct 9, 2011.

1. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

I use plumbers Goop, that and the marine Goop are for water applications.
    J

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Goop is great stuff for marine applications like keeping your deck details attached while bbs are trying to knock them off.

3. silverwing

silverwing Member

You should pick this project back up, I'd love to see another finished Moltke out there.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Has been a while since I put some time in to it. Last month I acquired cannons and did some fit work on the subdecks. Maybe this weekend. Life's been busy.

5. silverwing

silverwing Member

Funny how time slips away from us, huh?

6. NickMyers

Oh, it didn't really slip away, I spent it on other things. Other ships, other projects, other aspects of life.

7. NickMyers

Lined up the motor mounts and stuffing tubes last night, tacked them in place with superglue and then set to work fiberglassing them in place.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The yellow is little bits of clay leftover from the clay dam I used to make sure the resin didnt run all over the place and to support the stuffing tubes while they were initially tacked in place.
    First layer is in, which is the layer that seals the opening, time to bulk up the tube support a little and make the outside look pretty.

8. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Pretty! Did you cut the plexiglass discs yourself?

9. NickMyers

Hovey cut 4 of them for me on his lathe last year. Their true purpose was for drag discs but theyre phenomenally useful for lining up the stuffing tubes was well.

10. silverwing

silverwing Member

Can we get an update on this build? It's been a while and I'm curious as to what you've done

11. Hovey

Hovey Admiral (Supporter)

Did you leave enough room for that microscopic forward rudder?

And yes those disks are quite useful for so many things! Need to make a few more up when I get back home. They are polycarbonate, not plexiglass so they make indestructible drag disks.

12. NickMyers

In August I bought a house and moved, in October my son was born. I'm still playing catchup on a lot of things, and this is still unfinished.

13. NickMyers

Yep, there is room enough.

14. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

Late Congrats on your son Nick, They Do tend to keep you busy,But in the best ways.:)
    Enjoy the time while hes little cuz its great fun.

15. NickMyers

Well, its been 3 years since I started this, and over a year since Ive done anything but move the hull out of the way, so I figure its probably time to get back to work on it.

16. NickMyers

Ok, back to this....
    Before I moved (almost 3 years ago) I wanted to make sure the drive mounts stayed where they were and didn't get dislodged, so I drilled through them and the hull and bolted it all together. These holes will need to get re-sealed.
    20150426_134432.jpg 20150426_134446.jpg

I've been debating gun layouts, I've got 4 units, so 1 pump and 3 guns. Originally I was thinking I'd go dual sterns and a bow sidemount. We play with convoy ships up here and this is going to be a loaner, so I figured that'd be nice and simple and give the option to go hunt down a convoy ship.
    20150531_232028.jpg
    (Pens are clearly stand-ins for armed barrels)
    But that doesn't seem like it'll be a very exciting loaner ship for long, so I got to thinking. 0
    I believe the 'classic' way to arm this would be the last 3 turrets, correct?
    20150531_231937.jpg
    2 sidemounts followed by a stern gun?
    I don't really care for having to shoot around the after guns though for the stern gun, and we do have convoy ships and the occasional fat target out here, so maybe move that stern gun up to the bow and face it forward? By using the B turret I can get a little down angle I think.
    20150531_232104.jpg

Thoughts, suggestions? I'm not locked in to anything as far as layout goes yet.

Attached Files:

17. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

The pen IS mightier than the sword. Perhaps the pen as a replacement for a cannon needs to be explored?

18. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I got a Moltke from Bob and it had a stern gun and two stern sidemounts. I didn't like the placement of the stern gun so I went with a layout I was familiar with. Two stern sidemounts and a 15deg bow gun to port. I love it and found the bow gun is ridiculously easy to get on target. I always dump all my ammo, I have a gun in the front of the boat, and I can shoot ships I am chasing. Its awesome.

19. NickMyers

I've got a bow gun like that on my Derf, and I really love it. Did you use A turret or the starboard wing?

20. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

@NickMyers A turret just like on the Baden. And you can get a few degrees of down angle as well.