FastGun SMS Nassau

Discussion in 'From Stem to Stern: Warships In Detail' started by thegeek, Dec 29, 2015.

1. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

SMS Nassau built from a Ralph Coles Hull. Purchased along with Espana from Bob Pottle in 2001 or so. Four units with three guns and one pump, one spare gun assembly installed for parts and symmetry . DSCF1926.JPG DSCF1927.JPG DSCF1929.JPG DSCF1933.JPG
    Turrets are foamed and held in place with large Neodium magnets.
    Barrels are bent before they exit the turret to save space and enhance fit, I expected to replace them offten but these are the originals
    without any protection (Chrome Molly tight bore from McMaster Carr) and are three years old. DSCF1934.JPG DSCF1977.JPG

WillCover likes this.
  2. thegeek

DSCF1930.JPG DSCF1937.JPG DSCF1938.JPG Barbett rings are ABS and hold up better to the pounding (old rings were CPVC and shattered)
    Deck hold downs are Aluminum stock that toggle over the deck and in the stern is a 1/4 turn from Aircraft.
    Guns loads through the brass caps on deck (easy to check if loaded).
    Dummy barrels got shot away too offten, even the springs used to hold them get shot up and bent. The Allied are good at that. DSCF1930.JPG DSCF1937.JPG

3. thegeek

DSCF1942.JPG DSCF1943.JPG DSCF1944.JPG DSCF1941.JPG DSCF1973.JPG Prop is a PropShop (UK) 1.7 inch Kort 4 blade.
    Prop has a cutting bar attached to hull that does cut moss.

4. thegeek

Serious torque is needed to cut weeds so brushless power is a plus.
    2100 KV motor 2:1 reduction (about) and 3 cell LiPoFe 4200 mah. one battery per sortie.
    DSCF1962.JPG DSCF1971.JPG DSCF1972.JPG

Maxspin likes this.
  5. thegeek

CO2 bottle valve has steel pin attached that indicates position of valve and ease of turning (I can feel for it at night).
    Older Strike adjustable regulator is a winner in nearly all ways (I love it, bring it back Steven).
    Heavy Duty Dog Screen material is used to prevent through shots (light and cheap and vents).
    CO2 bottle is in a Alumilite 6-10 foam cradle (formed from 2" PVC pipe and packing tape) with music wire stop.
    One Battery is for pump (3 or 4 cell Lipofe) the other is for drive and valves.
    Valves hang on aluminum braket down into hull between batteries. DSCF1954.JPG DSCF1955.JPG DSCF1956.JPG DSCF1957.JPG DSCF1958.JPG DSCF1960.JPG

6. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Thanks for sharing Carl.

Several things that I had not seen before.
    Love the moss cutter!:woot:
    The extra supports on the drag prop look very functional.

Guns not coming through the turret??? I wouldn't have even thought that was legal. Interesting…..

I built a Nassau years ago and loved it. It was my third boat & I could do a lot better to do it again. Unfortunately I built if for someone else, and only got to run it for a year.
    Is the hull still available?
    It appears that you have gone with heavy waterproofing and no radio box. I think that is how I would go if I were to build it again.
    What are you using for CO2 tank and regulator?

I had a weight issue when I built it, but getting away from Lead acid batteries, and not having to work around a waterproof box would solve that.

For those of us too far away to have seen one. Tell us more about your famous pump.
    What are you using for CO2 tank and regulator?
    I like the simple little boat stand.
    Keith

P.S.
    Those ultra low profile Axis boats sure do take a lot of deck punishment. I may have to come back to the dark side. ;)

7. thegeek

DSCF1945.JPG DSCF1946.JPG DSCF1947.JPG DSCF1948.JPG DSCF1949.JPG DSCF1950.JPG DSCF1951.JPG DSCF1952.JPG I try to mount all items so that they can be serviced without tools and without sight, I am a photographer by trade so I don't fear the dark.
    Pump is held in place with Velcro straps and ESC's fit into Aluminum brackets and slide out for replacement (never had to yet).
    Drive motor is mounted to a gearbox of my design and has been very reliable. Prop shafts have been a issue as far a durability, the brushless torque is a valuable asset but when you hit a rock the drivetrain tends to keep going and failure will result. I have replaced the stainless 3/16" shaft with a music wire one sleeved with brass and run on oilite bearings, shaft silver soldered to prop with Stay Brite.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
    Panzer and Beaver like this.
  8. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Second install added while I was typing....

9. thegeek

Keith I think you aren't looking at the right photo, the guns do fit and exit the turrets properly. That is the reason for bending the barrel, so it fits.

10. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

[​IMG]

Your the rules guy.... but the gun clearly come up outside the turret then the barrel goes through the turret. I had not seen that on anything bigger than a destroyer. If you say it is legal, I will use it in the future.

Keith

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  11. thegeek

DSCF1975.JPG DSCF1976.JPG Pump is a brushless 2100 kv turnigy with a 50 amp hobbyking ESC. Glug/Glug outlet with orifice down by the pump body. Again pump can be pulled out without tools by release of Velcro strap. Impeller was made by Ronny Hunt on his CNC rig, really light at 2 grams. The pump was a group effort by me (pump body and design) Ronny did the CNC work (artwork in Alumium) and Kessler did the auto-pump switch (I never drive a boat witout a auto pump).
    Pump is screened with perfed Alumium, and in the bottom of the boat is another screen that the pump sits in to double filter the chaff. DSCF1965.JPG DSCF1966.JPG DSCF1967.JPG DSCF1968.JPG DSCF1969.JPG

Last edited: Dec 29, 2015
  12. thegeek

Turret and Barbett are two different things and the rules do allow you to go through the back of the turret or barbett.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
    Tugboat likes this.
  13. thegeek

DSCF1979.JPG DSCF1980.JPG DSCF1981.JPG

Radio is a old (I am too) Spektrum dx6 with a Kessler shot counter and very large timer for the blind captain.
    Shot counter has a nice boot up screen (it pays to know the manufacturer).
    Gun switches are on back of radio and work the gear and flap controls with duel rate mix to get four switch positions.
    Pump control is the right stick, down/off, neutral/auto, up/constant on: Kessler auto switch Ver 9 (I did allot of sinking from ver 1 to 8)

Panzer and Beaver like this.
  14. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Yes, Mark K in Ontario has the mold. I can give you his contact info if you desire it.

15. thegeek

Rudder WTB has a upper and a lower hose plumbed to the box, when they are seperated you can blow into the upper hose and any water that has leaked into the box from the rudder shaft is blown out the bottom hose. Fast and simple way to get the small amount of water that may collect out DSCF1963.JPG DSCF1964.JPG .

Panzer likes this.
  16. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Max, guns can enter the back of the barbette. The rules just say that the cannon barrel must exit from the front of the turret in the stock location. This is so that ships with tiny turrets and/or barbettes are arm-able.

17. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Like I said, I had only seen that in tiny boats like destroyers. This section is great. I learned something.... or several somethings.

Keith

18. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

WaHOOOO, that is great!!!!! Thank you for all the fabulous Pics. This is why i love this section of the forum. I have learned more than i can tell!! thanks again i thoroughly enjoyed this. Craig

19. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Ming may be merciless, but he is also a master of his craft, and magnanimous with his wisdom. ALL HAIL MING

20. thegeek

OK Jeff, one free pass next year for your suplicant nature, no purple death for you.

irnuke likes this.