SMS Posen fastgun build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by wdodge0912, May 31, 2018.

1. wdodge0912

wdodge0912 Well-Known Member

I'll probably be taking the shots whether I have a big or small target either way. being a bigger target would help me learn quicker what not to do.

2. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

It is hard picking your first ship, so many things to consider and only your personal experience will show you what you really want in a ship. Build what you want, no need to get approval from other captains or justify your choice. For the most part all the guts should be able to be swapped between hulls, so you won't lose money if you change your mind.
    Start your build thread, we are anxious to see you on the water!

NickMyers and Panzer like this.
  3. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

My first boat was a Nelson, what a mistake. Rick and Don kept saying your making a mistake, a big target. Charlie had no issues sinking it with ease. But its what I wanted to make. Sold it to Mikey up in Ohio, he said it would be a much better boat in treaty.

4. wdodge0912

the nelson is quite big though, compared to the Konig. The Konig is only 48" long, the nelson being 59" (in the 1/144 scale, roughly rounded to the nearest whole increment)
    The VDT is 47" long, while the Nassau is 40"

so I mean, the Konig isn't much longer than the Nassau, and is just an inch longer than a VDT. So even though Konig will be a bigger target, it won't be by much, and the extra length and weight allowance should help me arrange things to fit inside better

5. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

Allied captains fully endorse your comparative analysis of the target area differences between Nassau and konig. Have you heard about the benefits of two pumps?

Anvil_x likes this.
  6. wdodge0912

i could put 2 pumps on the Konig. :p

I was just saying that the Konig isn't like some huge long ship. yea, it's bigger than the Nassau class, but it's not like it's huge. It's average in length compared to other ships. the Nelson was suggested to be a bad ship for beginners because of how big it is.

in fact, just a quick average of class 3 and up, the average length is 47". the Konig is 48"

7. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Don't just look at length, you need to look at target area (from waterline to top of deck) and hard spots (casements, 1/2 inch from side. etc...) then you need to look at speed and maneuverability. Biggest factor in our hobby is captains skill in building and battling.

Panzer and SteveT44 like this.
  8. wdodge0912

I'm going to stick with the Nassau class (the SMS Posen) just because I have it, and just would be easier to get going. I still need to order parts, I was going to this last paycheck, but wasn't able to as my fun money (and then some) went to get new cell phones (I broke my screen for the first time in 11 years having a phone and because I upgraded, my fiancée had to get an upgrade to).

Last edited: Jun 27, 2018
  9. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Need to see a build thread on that... ;)

10. wdodge0912

money has been tight this last paycheck, with more crap popping up (flat tire on the fiancée's car, always a fun time), but I did manage to get allowance to buy some Nassau blueprints from Strike Models. should be here tomorrow. Not sure if I'll need them, but I'll at least have them.

11. wdodge0912

Just an update for anyone wondering, I havent done anything with this boat :(

it has taken a back burner to life, especially since back in August we had a worker go on administrative leave for an indeterminate amount of time (still gone as if this post). I also got married in October as well.

The good news is, I finally dug an old rc car kit out of the basement, posted it up on Facebook and some it then next day. The funds are sitting in paypal right now, I'm waiting for the car to arrive to it's new home, before spending the money on parts. I have a cart pending for Monday.

12. Maxspin

Maxspin -->> C T D <<--

Fiberglass is considerably heavier than plywood. I am currently replacing the fiberglass decks I built for one of my ships and replacing with plywood. weight going from deck to lead in the bottom of the hull.

13. wdodge0912

i'm going to use whatever I can get help with installing. When i started looking into getting a ship and bought the Nassau hull for this build, I had a spot to work on the boat and my dad was going to help me do the fiberglass reinforcements needed. Now, both him and I, have gotten too busy and that is no longer an option.

14. wdodge0912

Small update, parts have been ordered back on the 17th. I should have most of the parts needed to get the SMS Posen going when they arrive. I know a driveshaft will need to be built (I didn't order one as I did not know what length I'd need) also I dont have batteries or a rx/tx yet. and the outer shafts with drag props I have not even thought about until this post.

but besides those, I should have everything to make a reliable boat. I was able to afford solenoids for the ship with the BC multi board, and will be running the ship at 6v.

Panzer likes this.
  15. wdodge0912

The parts are here! they've actually been here for a bit, I just hadn't gotten around to digging them out from the box. Not shown are the 2 VDT turrets I got as spares in case I mess em up. I'm not sure if the ones I had gotten with the boat are different than the VDT, but the Posens 2 centerline turrets are the same as the VDT, so they'll work for those in case they are.

This next weekend coming up I have off and plan to reinforce the hull. I just need to go buy the stuff. Then once it's warmer I plan to go visit some professionals and their barns and have them "help" put the thing all together. hopefully I'll be able to battle it in the first one of year

16. Anvil_x

Anvil_x Well-Known Member

Cool, well make sure to get with @WillCover . he may be in the U-P, but he travels a lot and he's got a pretty squirrely Nassau. Hope to see you in Saranac this spring.

17. WillCover

WillCover -->> C T D <<--

UP! I'm a troll...we do have a brand new Yooper in our midst. and who you calling SQUIRRELY Paul Bunyan!:laugh:

Panzer likes this.
  18. Anvil_x

I think a highly maneuverable and low-set weapons platform deserves the moniker.

19. wdodge0912

For those not in the know, I figured I'd update this post. The SMS Posen is currently at Will's to get the thickness of the hull up to spec so the rubs will do what they are meant to do, not get blown off.

In the meantime I have gotten the HMAS Australia, and with parts from the Posen, is currently battle ready. I will be getting things nice and tidy and taking some pictures once that's done. I also bought a Duca, and that will be my Axis cruiser. I'm hoping to have the Posen and Duca going for when I'm ready to go battle at a Nats. I need battling skills first though. Will be a couple years at least before I get to one unless it ends up in Saranac.

20. Anvil_x

Yeah no worries, I am looking at scrubbing my NATS trip this summer due to buying a house. But I'll run into you in Saranac at least twice this summer. That Australia looks pretty sweet, especially if it can hold its own against Craig's VDT.

Hoping my Texas can do the same against his Baden. both of his boats are monsters.