SMS Scharnhorst Build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Renodemona, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

Hey all, I started work on my little armored cruiser today. Just taped out the ribs since I was helping a new guy get work done on his boat. Here's the pics from todays activity!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Wow thats going to be fun cutting up. She has a nice and tight stern also, those gun bulges look like they will help with the steering gear setup.

3. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

I have one of those on my to do list. Keep the photo's coming. I am interested in seeing how you arm it.

4. Anachronus

So how's it coming along?

5. Renodemona

Here's the progress today! Got lots of work done on the Scharnhorst, as well as a Musashi another club member is building. That's one big boat! Here's a couple shots of the stern section of my armored cruiser. I'm pleased with how she looks so far!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. djranier

Hi Brandon

Did you cut out more than needed? Anything set back 1/2 from the edge of the hull does not need to be cut out. Those large areas that are recessed looks like they should be solid? But hard to tell from the picture really.

[​IMG]

Are you planning on battling her at NATS? For the whole week, or the Wed morning Battle.

7. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Nice shoes Brandon, I have the same ones. HA HA!!!

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Seems a little strange to me that you would complain about someone having TOO MUCH penetrable area on their ship (assuming that renodemona actually did cut out sections that didn't need to be cut out). I'm rather curious about the really skinny slot in the back there. Is it actually large enough for a bb to fit through?

9. Anachronus

Doesn't look like it. I think that area is allowed to be solid under MWCI rules anyway.

10. djranier

I did not complain, just asking a question is all.

He's Axis, I'm Axis, so of course I will help him if possible. LOL. [:D]

If its over .177 inches, which is sightly smaller than (.1875) 3/16 inch, then it should be cut out. If the hole is just a little larger than (.150125) 5/32 of a inch, then no need to since the BB could not fit anyways.

So as Kotori ask's, thise little slots also, may or may not, should of been cut out, good catch.

On my PE which has the same type of casemates, which are 5/8 inch high. When I measure, the 3/8 down for the internal subdeck, and the 1/8 up allowed by the rules for casemates, the slot would only be (.125) 1/8 inch high, so a .177 BB could not go through, unless over time the solid fiberglass finally started to give way around the edges, which was why I did not cut them out.

But he can allways add it back in if he finds that he did not need to cut it out. Just more work for him is all, [;)].

11. Renodemona

Thanks Bob! I bought those shoes at 2006 Nats at the walmart there because I lost my other ones somewhere in the pond. As to the tiny slit window, a BB will fit through it...barely. It is cut that way per Bob's suggestion. I figure better safe then sorry. The top windows are larger than required, but not by much. It was just easier to cut this way and really the small hard area I might have gained is pretty insignificant compared to the casemates and other such things. :D I mean, I dont want the allies to feel bad when their shells bounce off my tiny little cruiser's hull. ;) I'm building her as my campaign ship, she'll have dual bow guns for shore bombardment and hunting convoys. Locally, I might just putt around with her. I'm sure some big bad battleship will run her down at Nats, but, that's all part of the fun. :D

12. djranier

That a good idea for a campaign ship, I plan on using my Kumano for campaign, unless the Rad is done on time, then it will be a all Austrian fleet for me. I'm still thinking about trying to get their Hovercraft done by then also, but it will be next year it looks like for that.

13. Anachronus

Indeed. Shouldn't a German ship be He though?

14. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I believe that "He" thing was Bismarck only and was started by her captain. IIRC, he said something along the lines of "No ship this powerful could be feminine"

I wouldn't worry about any big bad BBs in that thing. Ken Kelly's son has one in the IRCWCC and it turns so well, it's nearly impossible to hit. If he takes more then 3 holes in a sortie, he's made a mistake.

15. Anachronus

Ah, I had it going through my head that "schiff" is a masculine noun hence German Ships are "he".

English lacking gender of nouns, just seems to be following the pattern of the romance languages where ships are feminine. Hence "she".

Of course I may just be going nuts.
    [:p]

16. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

LOL you could be right, I'm just repeating what's stuck in my head for some reason. If I was wrong it certainly wouldn't be the first nor the last time!

17. DeletedUser

DeletedUser Guest

djranier if you sell me 1 of your ships my offer is 480

18. Renodemona

Big build day for SMS Scharnhorst!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She will mount dual sterns with a 1/2 unit pump. Not sure where I will have the outlet, probably in the step somewhere. Maybe in one of the 88mm gunhouses.

19. Anachronus

Looks good. Are you painting it in white and buff or war gray. Though, either would look good.

20. Renodemona

I am leaning towards white/ochre with the black mast-tops. I've never had a ship painted in peacetime colors. Also, I think it will stand out a bit more on the water.