So is it Fast Gun or Small Gun?

Discussion in 'General' started by JustinScott, Dec 1, 2006.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Touche but then again I knew that was coming.

2. Craig

Craig Active Member

You should. Geez, you've been zinged before... it will happen again. Speaking of zinging... Can we just do BG and FG from now on?

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Big Girls and Fat Girls? Ewwwww

4. Craig

Craig Active Member

Not quite Tuggs. Not quite. How about stick to warships... is safer, no?

5. Tugboat

definately. I go for thin girls built well :) For ships, i look for more "broad in the beams, skinny up top".

It is best not to confuse the two standards.

6. Craig

Craig Active Member

Agreed. I wonder which they prefer, small gun or fast gun?

7. Tugboat

Fast Gun please :)

8. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm... That's what I thought, but others from MWC said "small gun"! hahhehehe.. I think different people take fast/small gun differently. I think some take small gun as teenyweeny gun; I think others take it as "smaller boats" (ie. lighter, easier to move around & from an advertisement stand point that can be a very good thing) --->I know they are all 1:144! But we are talking about perception & advertisement here.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

They change thier perception quickly if they were lugging around Yamato.

10. Tugboat

Not really, both clubs have a scale weight limit, and I've not seen any 20 pound Yammers :)

11. Craig

Craig Active Member

Did we answer you question?

12. Tugboat

We haven't answered it for the IRC and MWC side. Everyone I've ever talked with or emailed calls you ball-bearing slingers Big Guns, which I think gets the point accrss, and isn't derogatory (actually, it sounds pretty cool).

13. Craig

Craig Active Member

Tuggs, are you big gun or fast gun? I'm belonging to the family of fast gun. I get a little anxious sometimes cause I'm never sure if which I'm talking to here, which is probably a good thing!

14. Tugboat

I'm a fast gun guy, but I'm intrigued by big guns. If there was a big gun group down here, I'd do both. With the working on detail pieces and hulls, I don't really have time to start a big gun group, so that'll just be something for later :)

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The cost of the guns is the only thing that is keeping me away from BG. I would love to have both models. BG and FG(SG). That would be truly unique here and so much fun. Just having a BG ship at a show showing the guns rotating and depressing would be enough to get oohhs and ahhs from teh spectators.

16. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Know what would be really cool? If you could out fit your ship to do both. Say you have one turret or a pair firing fg and our other set would fire BG. Now hows that for capability?Nobody has tried that yet. With an ESC you can play with the speed more. And you could even have rules where a certain percentage of your ship would have 1/32 balsa say the vulnerable areas which inherently was the bow and stern and say the midships would be sheeted with thicker balsa sheeting to reflect the thickness of armor of the real ship. So a cruiser would have 1/8 in midships paneling and 1/32 bow and aft quarter and the Yamato would have 1/32 bow and aft and have 1/4 in midships panelling.I don't know how thick it would be just throwing in a rough example but hopefully you get the idea. Now that would be very interesting indeed.

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Got it! I would outfit say my Yamato with BG sidemounts and outfit my tripple sterns with fast gun cannons.

18. Tugboat

My Hyuga is designed to have hot-swappable turrets already*. Making another set of turrets for big gun would not be that tricky, I'd just have to crank the ship's speed way down.

*in MWCI, you can rearrange your offensive units between sorties, as long as you don't change the ratio of pumps to guns. so I can run quad sterns to swisscheese someone in sortie one, above the waterline, then switch to my sidemount collection to administer the coup de gras in sorties 2 & 3.

19. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

It's entirely possible to do a Big Gun compatible destroyer. All you'd have to do is turn down your speed, and stick to Big Gun penetration and rate of fire restrictions and you'd be set. Heck, you could do that for just about any ship with guns 6" and under. It's the larger-caliber cannons you'd have trouble with.

As interesting as it would be to have appropriately distributed varying thicknesses of balsa armor, it'd be a pain to set up. You'd need a diagram of the ship's armor layout, and that's not readily available for many ships. Especially important is the depth of armor protection, because armor protection down deep makes a big difference in survivability. Once I get a battleship again, it'd be fun to try though.

20. Tugboat

The varying armor thickness sounds like a pain. The Mid-Atlantic Battle Group (MABG) just lets you base armor thickness on the thickest part of the armor belt, just sheet the whole thing in one thickness. I'm not sure how much I'd like to have to stare at an armor layout drawing while resheeting. How do you guys deal with armor sections that aren't vertical and horizontal (ie diagonal cuts in the armor plates)?