So what's this Treaty thing I keep hearing about?

Discussion in 'General' started by Tugboat, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I've heard Justin mention it in passing. Is it a new group, if so, what's the thrust of their rules?

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

I promised not to say much about them... basically they are fast gun who are tired of the MWC/IRCWCC ruleset & have started rolling their own. They hopefully will be releasing info soon, creating a website / letting me advertise them... I'm on their lists, so I will know when they go public.

I'm sure Buddy will be able to comment more on them, he is a member.

3. Craig

Craig Active Member

LOL... sounds like our group. The storyline is a little different but the sleepiness of the mwc/ircwcc rules is making the rounds to be sure.

4. Tugboat

How are your rules not sleepy? lol... Seriously, what have you changed?

5. Craig

Craig Active Member

At this time some baby steps are in place. 7/7 unit bismarck, 23 second Iowa, penalties for rams. A few other smaller details. There is a lot in the works. I see this as a process that will evolve over teh next two years.

6. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey guys I have joined in their web forum and have afew tidbets I can offer.
    1 they have slowed the speeds down an example is a 30 knot ship does about 30 sec in 100 feet course.
    2 they still use the small calibar guns and use the same quadrent rules.
    3 they slowed down the amount that is allowed to pump ie a bb class ship will pump 1 gal and 1 qt. and the smaller the ship the less they are allowed to pump.
    4 they slowed down the allowed rate of fire. example you fire count to 2 like 1, 2, and are then allowed to fire again.
    There is a lot of ideas I like but right now I am watching to see how far they are going to go. I dont want to jump ship and be the only one at the pond with a working ship. So right now we have a small group here in the Buckeye Battle Squadron that like their ideas but want to see how they play out before we make up our mindas. They have some members that started out with us , built ships then never battled, built more ships never battled and then changed thier minds and decided they did not like the small gun at all. So I am waiting to see how far they go to actually get some ships on the water.

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Very interesting. Are they basing speed on the actual maximum speed of the ship, or are they assigning speed based on class and length, like IRCWCC and MWC? How did they decide on their speed chart? I'm looking forward to when they release more information.

8. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Ah, Treaty Combat. Please, allow me take a moment of your time. My name is Bob and I am one of the Founders of Washington Treaty Combat. I have a little time before I have to run so let me comment.
    First let me start out by thanking you all for your interest. A small group, three of us, started Treaty Combat because we wanted to take R/C Combat in a different direction. There were several reasons for this but, that is for another time.
    Way back when we used to use spirt guns. The damage grew and grew until it got to the point where it was decided that R/C Combat should look at the "Single Shot gun." The reason for the gun was to bring the amount of damage back down to earth. Well, over the years the damage has increased. We got to the point that we were taking and giving more damage with the single shot gun than we did with the spirt gun. Don't get me wrong. Damage is part of the game. But, with that said, why not limit the damage and the ability to pump. I never heard anyone say that the thing that they enjoy most about R/C Combat is patching. This is not all but is some of what we are doing:
    Ships speeds are based on the real ships Trial Speed. Not speed by length.
    Batteries can be changed between sorties.
    Guns are fired at a rate of 2 shots per second.
    We count sinks, not damage.
    Gun velocity,FPS The guns will be checked with a chrono from paintball. BB's have to penetrate 1/32 balsa not solid super structure and fiberglass. (you may have to de-tweak a gun. This also helps with safety)
    Pumps have been restricted. This allows ships to sink with less damage. (Less time in the pits patching more time on the pond battling. Sorties will be longer because the rate of fire has been slowed)
    Units are given out evenly. They are based on the ships Standard tons.
    We are also allowing ships to split their units. Example: Alabama, I can take one of the stern guns and split it between the 2 sidemounts giving her 2 stern guns, 2 75 round sidemounts and a pump.
    Gun barrels can not be towed in.
    These are some but not all of the rules. More information can be found on our Yahoo website.
    We are taking what we feel are the good rules from both Big Gun and Fast Gun and adding a few things that we feel will make the game fun again. There is no "This is the ship to build." Every ship has a purpose.
    One thing that is neat about our format, the guy with the most money does not win. Oh, you can have gun boards because they are "more reliable." You just can't fire faster than the rate of fire rule. You can put that $40 stinger motor on the pump, you just can't pump more that the pump rule allows. The outcome of the battle has been put back into the Captains hands.
    As far as someone that builds a ship and then does not fight it, then builds another. I don't know about that? I have been around since 1982 and have been to many Nats and regional events in Tenn. Alabama, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Virginia and Pennsylvania. I have built many many ships over the years and have had a blast with them all. I plan on building many more for Treaty. As far as wanting to see how things work out? Well, I'm not worried about that. We will do just fine. We feel that we have a good product, one that we like. We feel others may look at it and feel the same way that we do.
    This format is a great format for the beginner. It will not have the cost of Big Gun or for that matter Fast Gun. You will be able to go out there with poppet valves and do just fine.
    Well, I have to run for now. I am sure that more info will come out at a later date here on this forum about Treaty Combat.
    If you have any other questions feel free to email me at Gettysburg114th@aol.com I will be more than happy to get you the information that you need and forward you the link to our site.
    Thanks for your time,
    Bob
    Uberpooperscooper
    (Sorry for any spelling errors, I was in a hurry.)

9. Tugboat

Sounds interesting, Bob. I'll spare you most of my raft of questions until after I read the rules :) Where are you guys battling?

I like that the cost is kept down, that's becoming an issue, and I like the chrono for BB speed, the MWCI is looking at that, too. The idea I like best is the splitting units.

Side note: I tried to find a yahoo group, but nothing came up. Can you post the address? :)

Thanks!

10. Gettysburg114th

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TreatyCombat/
    We are battling in Ohio, Maryland and Pennsylvania. We are looking at a site in West Virginia.
    Splitting of units is nice because it allows the captain some wiggle room. He or she can set their ship up the way they want to. Also, if you go up against 2 Alabama Class Battleships you may have to engauge one differently than the other because of the way the ships are set up.
    Mikey will be working to update the rules with the updates from Jan. 1. We had a goal to have our rules completed by then and what do you know. We did. We hope to keep the rules as is unless there is some sort of safety issue. That way you don't have to keep making changes to your ship every year because the rules changed. Just another thing that keeps the cost down.
    The other thing that should be very interesting in Treaty Combat is that there is no speed by length rule. We are using Conway's for the ships speed.
    As I said in my other post, there is no "the ship to build" every ship on the ship list has it's good points and it's bad.
    Let me know if you want to hear more?
    Thanks
    Uberpooperscooper

11. Gettysburg114th

Hello all,
    Mikey just posted an email on the Treaty Site with all the new rules from our Jan. 1 meeting. We are working on getting the rules file edited. For right now print off the email that I just mentioned for your enjoyment.
    Thanks
    Uberpooperscooper

12. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey Bob
    That sounds great! hey I hope you did not take what I said as any kind of insult!I think you guys are on the right track, myself and a few others are what you would say setting on the fence to see how things play out. We are working to make things better in the BBS. We have pretty much agreed to gun tests and have pretty much agreed on no more rule perposeals unitll 2009. I know you have built many ships and battled them all,and think you are one of the top battlers around.

13. Craig

Craig Active Member

Great group. Here in NABS we are proposing a bit of a rules overhaul. Mostly, going to full tonnage for construction, some ramming rules and a few other tidbits for speed testing and penetrations tests.... looks like there is more than one group out there doing R&D!