SODAK Update

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by bb26, Feb 6, 2008.

1. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Well here is an update to the rebuild for the USS SODAK. The deck has been attached. I used my sister's basement to resin in the deck. I will use some machine screws to further re-inforce the deck to attach it to the hull. Once that has been completed I will bondo the deck and sand down the hull.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Exxxceellennnt Kaptn EEEXCCELLENT. Got any pics to post with that big guy?

Whatcha gonna do when 'HANNA' and her 'MONTANA' sink YOU!!

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

YEAH RIGHT .. SHEESH... (Still going to rip out your heart)

4. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I am hoping to have the screws in and the bondo done by the weekend. I am currently getting my plans coppied so I can align everything with the deck so I can plan the hatches properly. It probably won't be sanded for a bit. Should I use the dremel sander bit or a bigger sander for doing the hull?

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Palm sander my man palm sander.

6. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Palm Sander my man palm sander.

7. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

What? no big belt sander? :p. I might see if crappy tire has a palm sander for sale.

8. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Just borrow one from Craig if you can. There cheap. Craig got one for me for 20 dollars. Black and Decker. Excellent sander. Get the one with the pointed end. Easier to get into those hard to reach areas.

9. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I need to sand off the stuck on balsa on the sides.

10. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I picked up the hand sander. I have started sanding the sides of the hull to get rid og olg glue and balsa

11. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Well I have to sand before I even bolt in the deck. I am hoping to have the deck bolted in, sides sanded and coated with Bondo by tommorow afternoon.

12. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

Update. The deck has been bolted in with some machine screws. I have applied Bondo to the deck. I will be giving this some time to dry before I sand it. It will probably be wednesday before I get to sand the bondo. Overall it did not turn out bad. One spot where the deck lifted a little.

13. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Great work Paul great work.

14. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I have copied plans to the sodak so that once I have completing sanding the bondo I can mark out where the ss should go as well as plan my hatches. Any suggestions on what to use to cut the hatches?

15. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

There will only be two hatches to sodak. No sense having multiple smaller hatches. Once the hatches are cut then I will re-inforce the cross beam.

16. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I plan on one hatch that has the stern tripples. The other will include superstructure and forward sidemounts

17. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

i was gona do that on the NJ but then the front hach would have been huge and the back hatch would be huge too cause of the rudders

18. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I am looking at it from a perspective of being able to get my hand in the hatch for any work that needs to be done. Two large hatches I think will work well.

19. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I am aiming for a minimum amount of hatches. The stern hatch would cover the triples and provide access to the rudders. The second hatch would be the super structure whuch would give access to the batteries. The third is for the forward sidemounts. it would include the nicad switch. I could acess bottle area as well as another access area to adjust pneumatics as necessary

20. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

It will be 3 hatches. it will be cut so that it is easy to access the internal areas.