SODAK Update

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by bb26, Feb 6, 2008.

1. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Hey Paul if you are going to gut everything this winter you should install your cannons first the rest of your equipment can be installed after. I have seen with Tirpitz haw much easier it makes a build. I am doing that with Vanguard.

2. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The first thing to do is set up the internal bottoms ie motors and co2 placement pump ect then test place the cannons you want to install. The hull should be cut out at this point. Tirpitz was already sheeted at the time of installation. It was difficult to see how much clearance there was. Also with a little more time instead of 4 days that portion of the build would have went much smoother..yawwwnn. Anyway Paul before you resheet Sodak test fit the cannons temporarily and lay the equipment out. Make adjustments. Once you decided you have clearance and are happy with the internals you can sheet the hull. I generally like to make sure the interior is secured and operational before sheeting. Much easier to work on the internals when you can see through the hull.I found mounting cannons much easier with the sheeting off. I can see how much clearance there is and make adjustments easier.

3. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

YES, that's much better to do it that way if you can.

4. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I will soon be stripping the boat. However reconstruction won't occur until the new year as I have to order a gun kit from Battlers.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

You can still reconstruct without the gun kit bb26. Just get as much done as you can. You can use mockups to make placments.

6. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

The triples may be problematic as the old cannons were just above the gears. I I need to see where the new cannons would be as they may go deeper into the hull.

7. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

If there straight Mags Paul they are generally tall cannons. You can use your current Cannons to get a height references. Remember you want to allow enough clearnance for the T Caps to clear the deck underneath to get your fingers around them and just have the mags an inch or less below the deck.

8. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Also very important, make sure they down angle towards the interupters to keep the ammo coming as you shoot it. I had a gun fight me cause it was too level and didn't feed properly.

9. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Good point.

10. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I think I can get some of it set up. The first thing is to get the deck repaired. One of the cross pieces has cracked.

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

How are planning on repairing it?

12. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Paul I saw the Sodaks pics internally. Are you going with the large pump or keeping the small pump? Once you get the spaghetti cleaned up it would be easier to see how everything is laid out. It's not bad Paul for your first time at it. You got all winter to improve on it.

13. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

My Plan is to cut another piece of sintra and glue it to the damaged piece. Once it is Glued down I will take some resin and the support to the hull. I will be doing it to two cross pieces.

14. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

As for the Pump.I am not sure. If I place the pump behind the motors it interferes with the triples. The smaller pump permits the triples to be installed correctly

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Paul there should be enough height clearance for the pump back there under the Mags after you reduce the upfeed height. If not set the pump to the port or stbd side for clearance.

16. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

Once you get your new guns Paul all the up feeds will be long all you do is cut them to the height you need.

17. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I had the large pump installed on the side but my concern is that if I list to the other side I won't be able to pump. Now setting the triples and Pump can't be done until after Christmas as I won't have the new cannons until then. I will be working on cleaning up the wiring. I am going look at deans connectors to clean up the rats nest.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Deans are good connectors Paul. I will be using them in my new projects. You can create your waterchannelling to funnel the water to whatever side the pump is on. Water channelling is your friend.

19. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

I am going to use some more quick disconnects to make system more modular

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Sounds good there too Paul.