Solenoid and Firing Boards

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by tgalx3, Aug 29, 2022.

1. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I’m having trouble finding a solenoid and firing board. Can someone point me in the right direction?

2. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

https://www.pololu.com/product/2803

And solenoids… all depends on what you find acceptable.
    Some use cheap 12v solenoids off amazon, some use ones from BC, some use specialty ones from McMaster..

3. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I have found the 12v ones but was planning on running a 6v system.

4. Nomercy

Nomercy Well-Known Member

Run 12v system. Much less problems across the board. 6v is so 1990s

WillCover and Panzer like this.
  5. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

LOL. Fair enough. I just need remember how to put the right resistors in parallel to get the voltage down to 6v. I knew it really well about 6 months ago.

6. warspite

warspite Active Member

Hi!

You can run a separate power source for your solenoids and run the rest of the ship on whatever voltage you want. In my old Westfalen, I used 12v solenoids triggered by a 9v Duracell alkaline battery that I just threw away after each battle day. If you would rather not run the whole ship on 12v this is an option.

cheers,

John

WillCover likes this.
  7. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

8. darkapollo

darkapollo Well-Known Member

9. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Could I put my pump on the same board? I mean not the same board as my gun but another board to trigger on and off.

10. Nomercy

Nomercy Well-Known Member

I would not. Much larger amp draw

Panzer likes this.
  11. Kevin P.

Kevin P. Well-Known Member

I would not use resistors to drop voltage, just get motors for 12v. P = I*V is your friend. You can use the pulolu board to control a relay if you have a larger pump (550 size), if you have a small pump (380 or smaller) then you can test full load current and see if it’s less that 15A (probably would be). What boat and format is this for?

12. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Im putting this set up in a Lutzow. After looking at my pump motor, I am just going to make it a 12v system and use an cheap ESC for the pump trigger.

13. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

For clarification - the Pololu board looks like it is only able to fire a single set of cannons together (ie double/triple sterns or a sidemount), but cannot do two sets of cannons separately (ie both a bow and stern cannon), correct? Are there any boards that are capable of driving multiple sets of cannons? It seems this would eat up channels fast.

14. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

You are partly correct, without adjusting settings they only activate on one "side" of the channel. You can switch which side it activates on with a simple programming sequence and pairing two switches together you can fire two guns separately on the same channel.
    But, if you don't want to go through that Chris Kessler makes an awesome board that does all that right out of the box.

15. warspite

warspite Active Member

Are the Kessler boards the ones they sell at BC? I see they are all in stock now.

Cheers,

John

16. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Can’t you do a Y connector extension for two boards to the same channel on the receiver?

17. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

That's the classic method and is how my boards are setup in Seydlitz and Iron Duke.

18. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I use the pololu boards with a channel reverser if I need to use one channel to fire two different cannons. This simplifies my inventory management enough to make it my preferred low channel count reciever solution. Normally I just map one stick to two different channels and move on

19. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

You can! Though if one board isn't reversed then both will fire together instead of up and down.
    Kessler boards are not BC boards. Best contact @SnipeHunter and buy directly from him.

20. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

I am having trouble visualizing the board and receiver setup. How do you have two solenoids on one channel?

With a servo, arm swing goes in each direction of the stick. With one solenoid on one channel that just opens and closes, how do i get two solenoids on one channel. I guess what I am asking is, how should my solenoid set up be so that when I push up on the stick it shoots the bow gun and pushing down on the stick fires the stern gun?