Solenoid and Firing Boards

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by tgalx3, Aug 29, 2022.

1. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

The radio doesnt activate the solenoid. It activates the gun board. The gun board is set up to interpret the signal from the radio receiver into the solenoid opening. 0 (center stick) to +100 (stick all the way forward) is "one direction". 0 to -100 is the second direction. Most dual gun boards will have two outputs, one for each direction of travel. You would then hook those outputs up to the desired solenoids.

2. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

Im using the pololu boards. Looking at previous messages I need a channel reverser for one of the solenoids. But have never used one or installed one.

3. bsgkid117

bsgkid117 Vendor

The pololu boards are single directional. There is a solder bridge on the board itself that allows you to program it to throw opposite, allowing 1 channel to control 2 boards. You'd have to consult the instructions for the board.

Panzer likes this.
  4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

You cannot trigger both sides of the channel with one board. You need one board that throws normal (+100) and the second is programmed to fire on the opposite side of the channel (-100).
    The programming sequence is pretty easy and is detailed in their board programming page. If you need help lemme know, Ive done it before.

Panzer and bsgkid117 like this.
  5. tgalx3

tgalx3 Well-Known Member

This is my current understanding/plan. I would have one board for one solenoid. For my lutzow, I would have two solenoids and two boards. I would have a Y connector for each board that goes to one channel. Based on Greg's post above, I would need a signal reverser for one of the boards/solenoids to trigger the -100 throw of the stick.

6. Nomercy

Nomercy Well-Known Member

You dont need a servo. Its not in the equations

You dont use servos. Dont need them with the boards

I also have many Kessler boards for sale.

7. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

No servo required just put two firing boards on a y harness to the same channel if the cannons all fire at the same time. If you don't want to reprogram the Pololu to get two different firing cannons off the same channel that do not fire at the same time, use a servo reverser. This is my preferred approach when I don't have extra channels on the Rx to run them independently.