Some of our favorite Treaty rules

Discussion in 'Washington Treaty Combat' started by froggyfrenchman, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Interesting point. Mikey and I talked about that.

2. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

The 15" Gneisenau looks pretty nifty too.

While I personally have little interest in hypos, I'd kinda like to see some people build them just to see new things on the water. The Mackensen class BCs are pretty sweet looking ships also.

3. Gettysburg114th

I agree. I have no interest at this point to build a hypo but, I would like to see some out there on the water. Always nice to see something different out there. One of the OAF guys has a Dutch hypo. Can't remember what it was.

4. crzyhawk

I think it was a Dutch Battlecruiser

5. Gettysburg114th

I think you are right.

6. Boatmeister

Boatmeister Active Member

One of my favorite rules is the pumping capacity allowance. You can either purchase one of the excellent pumps from BC or you can build your own. Don't have to worry about the current of the motors or how efficient the pump itself is. Just build it/adjust it to match the output of your ship type and go to town. Sinks happen and the ships don't have the total destruction they do using the other pumps. Less repair, more time on the water and less in the pits!

7. Gettysburg114th

I would have to say I like that also.

8. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I think we saw the speed rules working out just fine again at the Ravenna event.
    Late last season we heard of a little concern over the speeds of the older WW1 era battleships, and also the pocket-battleships being restricted to only 28 knots.
    The concern with the older battleships was that they would be left out of the battle by the faster ships on the water.
    The concern with the pocket-battleships was that they would be run down and sunk by the fast-battleships, fast-battlecruisers, and even the faster cruisers.
    Well what we saw this time around in Ravenna, was that teamwork will be required to keep the slower battleships in the battle.
    Renown and Suffren tried to seperate the Bismarck from the slower Markgraf, and although it looked like it was going to work early on, Roland was able to keep Eric and his Markgraf in the battle by simply staying close to him when he wanted to.
    Now Eric did have to chase the battle around, that is generally the case in all formats to some extent.

Now as to the pocket-battleships speed of only 28 knots.
    I think we can all agree that a 28 knot cruiser is going to be a challenging ship to run, but we do not want to start giving any ships something that they didn't have historically.
    And as the Bismarck chased the Lutzow around in fleet battle # 3 without putting it in serious trouble, and as my Renown chased the Deutschland around all day Sunday, and had it not been for the Deutschland's pump outlet blowing inside the hull, I do not think he would have sunk all day. In fact, the pocket-battleships seemed to give out more damage than they received. Possibly because the capital-ships found it more worthwhile to chase a 28 knot cruiser that they had a chance of sinking, than chasing a 30+ knot cruiser that they couldn't outrun, or outturn.
    So again, teamwork is going to play a big part in the Treaty game.
    Both teams will have ships that have advantages, and disadvantages, and it will take both teams excercising a greater amount of teamwork to either win or lose the battles.
    Mikey

9. crzyhawk

Yep I agree with you Mikey. Team work seems to rule the pond. if you get someone who wants to go out there and be an individual, he's not helping his fleet be as good as they can be. All the ships seem to have a niche they can fill to help their team.

10. Gettysburg114th

I like that we follow our rules..

11. Gettysburg114th

I like being on the water longer than it takes to patch your ship. What a concept.

12. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Another thing to think about is that as we do not count damage, we can now look at some of the ships that have more freeboard. No longer is lots of target area un-attractive, as it gives you more survivability. And the only way to hurt your team is if you sink..
    Mikey