Sooo... What would you like to see in RCNC v2.0?

Discussion in 'Website Suggestions' started by JustinScott, Oct 31, 2008.

1. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

What would you like to see in RCNC v2.0?

Everything must be .NetC#. This forum has been nothing but a headache to change, because it is written in VB. I want one language through out the whole site; and my preferred language is C#... So there it is.

I am not saying I have started or realistically will start in the immediate future... However, I am definitely saying I'm evaluating technologies that will shape the future of this site... So I have started. I'm tired of being at the mercy of someone else, so I have just setup my OWN server... I'm currently evaluating the available network bandwidths at my house. I've found it is not acceptable, however as you know I'm moving around Christmas... So I will re-evaluate that option once I get to the new house.

Obviously we will need a forum... And we cannot loose any posts from this forum, ie data must be migrated from here to any new forum.

Single log-in. We have a "hacked-together" single-log-in right now (you only login once to the forum & that's good for the rest of the site); but I want it fully integrated... less headache. Admins need more control over user account manipulation (especially email-search).

File Manager, I think having online access to sharing files is important. However, I think it would be nice as well to provide a way to upload multiple files at once. I also think the "tree" is getting a bit big; and we should consider other ways to organize things.

CMS; I am tired of making changes to the site via ftp. Either I finish the CMS I started, or replace it with something else. Anyone know any? Again C#. (Mambo, Joobla, and all 'popular' free CMS are not written in .Net C#; however umbraco & DNN are...)

We need a way for users to manipulate the club finder page. It has gotten behind & I think if users had control it wouldn't be.

I like the photo gallery, I think it's pretty much the way I want it... Any requests? Perhaps integrate it better with the filemanager?

Email needs to work for scuttlebutt. (I'm sooo tired of this bug)

----> Additional features?

Marketplace? Some where venders/users can sell things? For example, I know BobP & RalphC make hulls, but I don't know how to purchase one...

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Add a toggle/button when adding photos that will specify which photos we upload we would like to see in the random rotation of pictures

I like the marketplace.

3. JustinScott

That's a good idea... I'll definitely do that.

Would you use it / put your cannons up?

4. GregMcFadden

I'll consider it. It might be the best location for them.

-Greg

5. MotoPhoto

MotoPhoto Member

"the photo gallery"

From the perspective of a newb in the hobby I'd love to be able to find pics of a certain ship. Any number of methods could provide that function, maybe the ability to tag pics, search by keyword, or maybe categories.

This would help me learn more each ship as well as be a great resource when building my own.

"Marketplace?"

Again, being new to the hobby that would be a great resource for someone like me just staring out.

Thanks for all the work you've done on the site as it stands. It's been a great resource!

6. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

Id still like to see a glossary and shiplist area. But, also, good luck justin, we know you can do it, were happy youre doing it, and were all behind you.

7. squires

squires Member

a ship info area would be nice, sort of a collection of what ever finds about ships stats pics ect.

not sure how you could work it though

8. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I thought they were working on a ship info area, where stats and photos could be made available for the historical ship and the model in each of the different rule sets. What happened to this project?

9. squires

squires Member

maybe a shop ... i know you obviously wouldnt be building or selling the stock but if something could be incorporated with BC and BDE ect have a central shop when their products are brought it e-mails them. dont know how possible or viable it is. just noticed all of their websites are pretty poor when it comes to online shopping, plus they are very spreadout, a hub could make it easier for rookie builders

10. JustinScott

I was thinking of a marketplace too.... No only for other venders, but for individuals to sell as well.... & Who knows.. maybe I'll just try to make/sell things myself! ;)

11. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

there's an idea. i like that.

12. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Forum Topic Follow-up Options

Discussion threads often wander off-topic. A lot of users don't seem to understand the idea of topic organization & continue to post off-topic responses when there's a better choice somewhere else. What I'd like to suggest is a mechanism whereby somebody can control where follow-ups get posted. As one topic "morphs" into another, posters could determine which topic(s) follow-ups get posted to, instead of automatically continuing only in the current topic, which isn't always appropriate. It should be possible to redirect follow-ups to one or more topics, including the current one. An automatic notice should be generated & added to the redirected message, stating that follow-ups are being redirected to the named topic. There should also probably be limits on who may have follow-up control, perhaps limiting it to the user doing the posting & moderators, or maybe those with a certain rank or with permission activated by the site admin.

Example: On-topic discussion about setting up a specific ship in General/Ship Comparison drifts into more generic talk about running hardware that might be more appropriate for Technical/Propulsion since it applies to many other ships. Recognizing the drift, a user may choose to have follow-up messages to the message that he's currently posting or editing directed to a new or existing topic under Technical/Propulsion. From that point onward, new messages appear in the new topic, while previous messages remain unchanged.

Any "Previous Message" links that reach the beginning of a thread for a given topic should be allowed to continue to follow the thread back into the topic from which it was redirected. "Next Message" links forward, to a point where a thread splits into multiple topics, should prompt the user to enter which topic to follow. Any change to follow-up topic should require an action; default should be to continue posting to the current topic.

JM

13. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

A lot of more modern forums provide for splitting and moving threads, which combined with good moderation solves that fairly well - hopefully the next version has such support.

14. JustinScott

That's exactly what I was thinking...

15. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

a Mark all as Read button so we can clear all of the active topic flags.

16. JohnmCA72

JohnmCA72 Member

Graphic map of individuals:
    • Show locations as clickable icons.
    • Click opens profile.
    • Icon color (shape?) based on club affiliation and/or format.
    Graphic map of clubs/chapters:
    • Show locations as clickable icons.
    • Click opens club data form/page/window.
    • Icon color based on format/affiliation.
    Allow users to select individual vs. club view of map.
    Allow zoom in/out, view continents, view countries, view regions/states within countries, etc.
    JM

17. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

spellcheck in compose/reply

18. GregMcFadden

Justin, here would be my suggestion for files: Simply have the (I know it looks simple from an outsider) code auto generate a folder for each user. Each user has a link to their "Gallery" in their profile. Image files in the gallery show up when browsing, other types are available for download. all can be linked to from posts and each has a button or something below allowing one to easily copy and paste the code to a post to link/embed an image.

then only the administrators & you really ever see the file structure of the tree....

19. JustinScott

Not sure how easy that's going to be... however I do need to do something about the users that are just throwing stuff into the users directory.

20. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I'm guilty of doing that.

What happened to the old folders we had, I cant find mine that had all the pics Ive uploaded at various times? I'm not in the A-D or E-J sub folders, are the rest of the users folders coming back? Or should I just make my own sub-folder in the general user folder?