Sooo... What would you like to see in RCNC v2.0?

Discussion in 'Website Suggestions' started by JustinScott, Oct 31, 2008.

1. phill

phill Active Member

I'd like to see "last logged on date" and "Number of times logged in" available on someones profile.
    I'd like to see "region" changed to "region/state"

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Added Last Logged in... However, it needs some smoothing out. I'll get to that later.

No number of times logged in option

"Region" stays.

3. bkoehler

bkoehler Active Member

Hey Justin,

a Calendar feature - so we can post events we have going on. If all the various clubs were posting events on the calendar it would show new prospects viewing the site how many opportunities there can be to battle (as a national 'whole' there is stuff going on all the time)

more control of our profile page. I was thinking of the ability to turn on/off features like the blog window, etc. I was thinking of making more space (like the blog window in mine wastes space and makes the others misalign)

BrianK

4. JustinScott

I am actually working on the calendar.. Good suggestion

5. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

For v2.0, would be great to have a way to find people within a radius of your zip code.
    --
    Here's one technical issue that might come up (calendar) and one bug I noticed (a little off topic of this thread, I know)
    For the calendar, be sure it doesn't cause an infinite loop for the search engines to crawl -- they can get stuck following the "next month" hyperlinks and will index pages for every month for your calendar. Great way to waste a bit of bandwidth.

Since there's talk about making the "is there a club near me" feature more used...
    For regions, any way to add some validation for the states under United States? Manitoba is listed as a US State.
    A couple of the cities in California (and possibly other states) could use some tweaking (though in reality I bet it's user profiles that need the tweaking). In California, there are multiple cities that have a space at the beginning of the name, ending up with two separate entries for Fremont, for example.

6. JustinScott

Nope no validation is possible. Way too many places on earth. I can't fix people being jerks either & sayig they are from antartica.

7. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

How do you know they really aren't from Antarctica?

As for states/countries, most sites use a drop down list rather than a text box to help prevent poor user inputs.

8. JustinScott

But some how people get around it

9. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

How a "Mark all Forums Read" button that would do just that. :)

10. JustinScott

Press Not read (above) this will show you a list of all unread threads. (very useful)
    Bottom of that page press "mark all as read."

Done

11. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Can a button be added to the front forum page? One click and I don't have to physically click each forum that has something new in it. Even having to reset the view to unread threads, scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click a button is rather tedious.

12. JustinScott

Sorry; nope.

13. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

I usually use the" active topics" button for that. it will give you posts since your last visit, or over a period of time. After you first click the forum button, it is located at the upper left below the navigation bar. right next to these other options" Unanswered Not Read My Topics"

14. MWC13

MWC13 Member

A better editor.

15. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

The ability to ignore posts by certain people. A bit anti-social, I know.

16. JustinScott

Mwc;

your browser (ie, firefox) is what is taking you back to the previous page.. Not the editor. If you press backspace while the editor doesn't have focus, your browser will go back one page. Figure out how to disable the browsers hot key and you'll be happier.

I for one think we have one of the best text editor I've ever seen on a website.

17. MWC13

MWC13 Member

So I'm typing on a line and I attempt to get rid of the silly extra line automatically inserted by "...the best text editor [you've] ever seen on a website" by typing a backspace character twice and I leave the editor. This is a browser problem. So how much more "focus" can I gain if I'm in the middle of editing text within the editor?
    See this line? I typed a single return and yet I'm now two lines down. Best text editor indeed.

18. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Most of the time when people insert a hard-return into a forum post, they really are intending to start a new paragraph- or they should be intending to for the reader's benefit at least. Thus the editor converts a hard return into a closing paragraph tag and provides the extra whitespace between the previous text and upcoming text. If you want to just write a blob of text, either dont use hard-returns or switch to 'source' view and just type.

19. JustinScott

Nicks right; switch to source or the plain editor or step up and find me an even better editor. Again it must be compatible with dotnetnuke5.

20. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

A way to either convert URLs in the quick reply textbox to hyperlinks (though has potential for being abused), or when using the hyperlink option in the full editor having the hyperlink automatically have a color. I've seen confusion when people use a hyperlink but it's not obvious there's a link there unless you mouse over it. I personally make sure to add color to my hyperlinked text.