source for stainless prop tubes

Discussion in 'Propulsion' started by jimmybeekeeper, Aug 12, 2014.

1. jimmybeekeeper

jimmybeekeeper Active Member

just wanted to know where you guys get the stainles tubing for the prop tubes an perhaps the specs on it

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

I never used stainless for stuffing tubes, but you can probably get some from McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/#
    Another option is brake line from an auto parts store.
    Did a little looking on Mcmaster, this is probably what you're looking for. http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-stainless-steel-tubing/=t8z7mw
    Just remember, you want the ID of the tubing to be small enough to be able to drill it out to fit a 1/4" bushing for the 1/8" shaft.

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Brass tube and rod is most common.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

I have stainless stuffing tubes with oilite bushings. the tubing came from online metals, the bushings from amazon small parts or ebay. The 1/8" stainless shafts themselves came from the local hardware store.

5. jimmybeekeeper

thx for the info what size are you usindg for the stainless tubes i got the bushings located i think just wanted to know the id and od of the tubing to confirm

6. NickMyers

I don't remember. Mine are overkill, I think around 5/8 OD. Just make sure the ID is larger than your shaft, but equal or smaller than the bushing you intend to use.

As neat as they are, I wouldn't feel right about recommending them without first asking: Are you sure you're prepared to work with stainless? Brass is much softer and easier to work.

7. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Try cutting titanium! The shafts on my Moggy were a bitch to cut...

8. jimmybeekeeper

well if we are talking about cutting to length i can handle that i have a potable band saw if we are talking reaming that would be something i would have to figure out turning them down would also be a problem however im building a cruieser with 2 direct drive motors so i cant see having to turn them down

9. NickMyers

You will need to bore the cut tubing on both ends to press fit the bushings in. If your bores are off, you will bend or bind (or both) your prop shaft if they're close enough, if the bores are too far out of alignment, you wont even be able to run the shaft through. If your bores are too loose, you wont be able to press fit the bushings.

For your first ship, use brass. It is far easier to work with. You can always replace it down the road when you have a buddy with a lathe.

10. jimmybeekeeper

hmm your boring the tube the link i got for bushins is only .002 too big i think ill give hating them whiile cooling the bushing a shot i think the id will still be good if not i can align hone the internal ill let you know what happens and id i can find some .250 id tube

11. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

I run brass tubes with soldered brass bushings and stainless shafts.
    the tubes are just hobby shop brass, the bushes are made from thickwall tube and soldered and the shafts are stainless welding electrode with the flux coating stripped off.
    Plus I solder a 1/8" clippard nipple directly to the tube and fit a length of tubing to act as an oil feed tube.

12. jimmybeekeeper

thk very helpfull what lube do you use

13. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Lightweight hydraulic oil, I dislike grease.

14. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I like grease. It's gooey and tastes like... axles. But it goes well in my boats. Except for the little bit that I eat. It keeps me regular.

15. jimmybeekeeper

so you like the taste of white lithium for your prop shafts tug;'.} or is there a better tasting grease

16. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

I use white lithium grease in my ships and have never had a major issue. It takes a bit to break in or maybe just leak out, lol. I inject it into the stuffing tube with a syringe with the shaft part way in. Seems to work well.

17. jimmybeekeeper

yeah thats my plan i bet filling the the first time isnt gonna be quick

18. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

McMaster-Carr