Sovietsky Soyuz class battleship

Discussion in 'Full Scale' started by Windrider0275, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

I was doing some research for my upcoming project the Roma and noticed that the Russians had apparently laid down three battleships of the Sovietsky Soyuz class. From what I learned, these ships were influenced by the Littorrio class and appeared pretty close in design. (Yes I know the Russians liked to "borrow" designs.) [:)]

Has anyone seen a ship in the Sovietsky Soyuz class having been built for our hobby? I think she would be fun to run and gun. Any plans or drawings or info?

http://www.rcnavalcombat.com/FileManager/Storage/633659293077567500.png

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

hehehe... I'll give someone else a chance first. (on plans, drawings, and info)

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Yes, I have seen a Sovietsky Soyuz. It was present at Maker Faire '08, and might have fought in a Campaign Battle. That thing is a MONSTER! It's one of the biggest ships in the fleet, and I would compare it to a Yamato, in both size and armament. Big guns, heavy armor, and lots of mass. It's an area-denial weapon: you sail it to an area where the other team wants to go, and then you drive in circles sending a wall of steel at anyone who comes near. It's a bit too big for my tastes, but other people like it.

4. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

I checked out the stats on what this ship was being built at after Carl and Tugboat's comments and have to say...wow...what a BEAST it would have been! Yes, it would have been a huge ship with a fully loaded displacement of 65,000 tonnes, a length of 884 feet and beam of 128 feet! You are right Carl, a little bigger then what I want to wrestle around the pond! (smiles)

It still would be a fun club project and armed to the teeth, battle could be glorious!

5. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

Great idea Steve. ring that Littorio down on New Years Day and maybe we can talk about what was brought up here.

6. FirePowerDan

FirePowerDan RIP

You think that vessel is big wait till I show you the artist conception of the 1,000 ft. long combo Aircraft carrier/battleship that this country was designing for the Russians.12/16 inch guns and 30 aircraft.Show you it New Years day.

7. Windrider0275

Windrider0275 Member

Dan...I look forward to seeing all your toys and tools! (smiles)

Steve