Solved Spam blocking

Discussion in 'Website Issues' started by eljefe, Jan 2, 2016.

1. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I'm not sure there's anything you can do about this, but I believe the email address used for account confirmation must be blocked by anti-spam programs. I've been trying to change the email associated with my account but I can't get the confirmation link to be delivered. My email provider uses a spam filter upstream of my account that seems to be preventing the rcwarshipcombat.com email from getting through to me. I finally changed to some other email address and was able to get the confirmation. That account goes through a spam filtering tool I have control of. It accesses some database of known spammers and does instantly mark the sent from address as a spam account.

Is there some other way I can change the address associated with my account? I don't want to leave it where it is now.

2. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Send me a PM with the email you want to change to - however, if you switch it to one that is blocking inbound emails from us you wont be able to get anything - password recoveries, thread updates, private messages via email, etc. Best thing if that is affecting the email you want to use would be to contact the folk running your email and ask whats going on.

3. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I think I've figured out why your emails won't come through. They appear to be using a service called "Mandrill" that embeds links in the email that trigger spam-filtering logic. Here is an example from one of the emails generated by this site:

When an email has text pointing to site-a.com (i.e. rcwarshipcombat.com) but the actual link points to site-b.com (mandrillapp.com), it gets flagged as untrustworthy. Apparently this is a common problem with Mandrill users and I found this suggested solution:

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2017
  4. NickMyers

I think i can just turn the click tracking off. Dont use those metrics anyways.

5. NickMyers

Should be turned off. Give it a go again

6. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Still not working, but I'm pretty sure the issue is with my domain registrar. I recently transferred companies and the new one has some kind of email filtering that processes incoming email to combat spam. I've noticed emails from multiple sources seem to be getting blocked (rcwarshipcombat.com was just the first one I discovered). I've complained to them to see if this can be fixed. If not, I'll be looking for a new registrar!

7. NickMyers

From what Mandrill tells me it looks like your mail server is accepting the mail now, but queuing it for later delivery.

8. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I'm moving to a new domain registrar since Namesilo seems unable to fix whatever is causing the problem. The new company is working fine, so I consider this issue resolved. Thanks for your debugging help!

NickMyers likes this.