Spanish CLs

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob Pottle, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Would anyone be interested in hulls for Class 2 Spanish CLs, which could be used as Axis or Allied ships like the Canarias Class CA?

I've wanted to build the weird looking Navarra for quite a while along with the 2.5 unit Alfonso Class. I don't have hull plans and none are available, but both were derived from British light cruiser designs (Town and Enterprise Classes) for which I have partial lines.

Given that the hulls would be deepened for the extra displacement allowed (as I did for the Profintern/Krasni Krim mold) the hulls below the waterline wouldn't be exactly scale anyway.

One of these could be my next project after the Dutch Java Class hull.

I'm also looking at HMS Adventure (cruiser/minelayer; 2 units), HMS Delhi (2.0 unit CL with US 5" turrets) and the Argentinian Vincente de Mayo/Almirante Brown 2.5 unit CAs as future projects.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Renodemona

Renodemona Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in the Argentine ships

3. Bob Pottle

They're nice looking 2.5 unit heavy cruisers. I've read that they were based on the Trento design but it was ~100' longer, but also that the hulls were similar to the Condottieiri light cruisers, though there were several groups of those with quite a range of dimensions and none that match the VdM closely.

There are OOP (and expensive) Argonaut 1/1250 waterline models to extrapolate the upper hulls from but the underwater design is unknown and would be guesswork. Wouldn't be the first time I've had to guess (i.e for dreadnought Espana when the frames on a 1/144 plan were completely wonky and no other plan was available).

4. bmarkb

bmarkb Active Member

Bob,
    I’m not interested in the Spanish CLs, but HMS Enterprise is a fantasy build for me, if you are headed in that direction. I have a set of George Goff plans.

5. Bob Pottle

The Enterprise Class looked really good with white hulls and superstructure and buff funnels on foreign service in the 1930s, but white's not a practical colour for rc combat! Handsome ships.

Unfortunately there are no high quality plans available for the Enterprise Class. The closest hull plans I can get are for the Spanish Almirante Cervera Class, which I just discovered are sold by PM; I could come up with a suitable hull plan for the Enterprise/Emerald from those, but have to redo half of the Hawkins Class mold, and make the Java Class mold first. We're looking at a year before I could produce an Enterpise hull, and only if there was enough interest in one.

Edit: I've since checked out the dimensions of the Spanish Almirante Cervera Class ships, which were based on the Enterprise/Emerald design. Profile Morskie has the Spanish CL plans. All that would need to be done to change the hull plan to Enterprise would be shorten it 3/4", decrease the beam slightly and change the bow shape from flared to the ugly British 'knuckle'.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018