Spartan Scientific solenoids

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by buttsakauf, Dec 7, 2011.

1. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

Richelieu BB turned me on to the idea of trying out these solenoids. After a month or so of waiting I have received them. They are the 3823 series. The basics of mine were:

Type: Direct acting, normally closed, 2 way valve
    Size: 2.44" tall x 1.1" x .75"
    Weight: 2.95oz
    Voltage: 12v (6v is an ordering option)
    Power Consuption: 6.5w (0.5A+- at 12v or 1A+- at 6v)
    Orifice size: 2.4mm a.k.a. .0945" or just a hair over 3/32"
    Seal type: Viton
    Pressure rating: 200psi
    Ports: 1/8" NPT
    Response time: 12-14ms
    Cv: .24
    2nd EDIT!!: ESTIMATED SCFM: 16-18+- SCFM at 100psi, 25+ SCFM at 140psi (I dont know that this is right... at all. It is loosly based off the Cv rating and a chart on page 77 of the following link) http://www.spartanscientific.com/up...436880.pdf
    Notes: Very easily disassembled. Coil unscrews by hand and appears to be fully potted. All metal appears to be brass or stainless. Stem comes out by removing to small screws on a retaining plate. I can do these things in 15sec. Also I noticed the coil can be rotated to any orientation and retightened.
    Company page for direct acting valves is http://www.spartanscientific.com/di...oid-valves

Das Butts

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  2. jch72

jch72 Active Member

Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
    Looks to be practically identical to the clippard maximatic valve, with a plastic body instead of aluminum and a replaceable orifice. Not sure if the orifice and associated oring could become a failure point.

Are the threads for the small screws holding the plate under the coil a metal insert in the plastic valve body? If so can you tell if they were molded in place or driven into place after molding?

How much do they cost with shipping? The Maximatics run $20 each plus $25 shipping and handling on the order.

Ron Hunt

3. buttsakauf

I dont think the orifice would be a failure point. That is only because they told me that this valve should be good for a million cycle as long as it is run in the appropriate voltage range.
    Yes, the screws that hold the retaining plate in place are threaded directly into the plastic body. The threading is tight and requires additional torque during the last 1/8" of tightening to get it flush. The threads don't appear to be fine machine threads. I would venture a guess that this was ineffort to keep more material between the threads to ward off stripping them out. Cost for 4 was $130+- delivered to my door. I also had to wait a month for them. The company doesnt have the capital to be able to just keep them in stock.
    The differences are what you noticed plus the higher Cv rating on the Spartan. Clippard is .12, Spartan is .24... which by looking at other products indicates the Spartan should follow about double what the Clippard does. The relationship between Cv and SCFM seems fairly linear as Cv increases. Re-edited first post with new numbers based on a chart.
    Das Butts

First post edited with estimated SCFM rating.

4. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

I also noticed the Spartans were physically smaller than the Clippard Maximatics, perhaps the same size as a Kip. I didn't have a Kip in hand at the time to do a side by side comparison.

Mike

5. buttsakauf

Looking at the specs it seems they are very close to the same size, with the Spartan being maybe 1/10" skinnier. Either seems to be a better call than a Kip just because they have to be lighter. My memory could very easily be faulty though. And my "hand scale" is known to be off.
    Das Butts