Spectrum DX5e problem

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by radollar2000, Apr 4, 2009.

1. radollar2000

radollar2000 Active Member

Okay this is probably something very simple, but, so I bound my reciever to the transmitter and now I can't get the reciver to connect to the transmitter, or if I is connected then I suppose I have fried all four of my servos somehow. I am assuming that the flashy light would go solid when it connects, like it did when I bound the system. All the servos and the reciever have been skotchcoted prior to this.

2. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

3. radollar2000

I didn't have the battery wiring done when I skotchcoted things as I was looking for something else to do while I was waiting for epoxy to dry. So I never tested it before I put the skotchcote on.

4. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

:eek:well I guess we will never know than will we, any who lets try this do you have another radio system to hook the servos to :confused:

5. radollar2000

Now there is a thought. I just have to get a hold of my buddy who has the rc plane stuff.

6. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

With the Transmitter on, and the receiver powered up, without any servo's plugged into the receiver what is the diode doing on the receiver? Is it flashing or solid.

7. radollar2000

okay I just tried that and with only the battery plugged in the diode is solid.

8. djranier

That means the receiver is locked on. Now are you plugging in the servo's the right way? The black lead of the servo should be to the outside edge of the receiver. What happens when you try that.

9. radollar2000

okay, as I suspected I'm just a dolt. It never occurred to me that the plug from the battery needed to be plugged in facing a certain way...nor did it occur to me that the servos had to also be facing the same way. Everything, is working fine now, thanks guys!:)

10. djranier

Great news, if you have never used a radio before, it was just a learning curve for you is all. It usually will not hurt a servo plugging it in wrong, but if you decide to use the Team Delta stuff in the future, be very carefull with plugging that stuff in, very easy to mess up.
    FYI
    The Futaba equipment has a notch on it, so it cannot be plugged in the receiver the wrong way, the other vendors can be plugged in either way, just somthing to look out for. If you decide to use a Futaba servo with your Spektrum in the future, all you have to do is cut off the additional notch sticking out, and they will work in your receiver also.

11. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

Thanks for the info, I just purchased a Sprectrum DX5e.
    Just installed it in my boat last night, and married the RX this morning.
    I was waiting to have all of it installed before hitting it with Scotchkote.

12. wrenow

wrenow RIP

You do realize that the DX5e has no end-point adjustments? You can cobble some in, but it is a bid of a cludge.

Cheers,

13. radollar2000

yeah, well as this is my first boat I figured I just wing it. I'll figure some do-fangled way to make sure it goes the right speed.

14. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Wreno, How would end point adjustments help control speed on a server/microswitch throttle or a servo/microswitch/relay throttle? I have that capability on my radio but as the microswitch is either on/off (as far as I know) how can I get proportional from it. I would like to know this trick and changing gears is a pain.

Thanks

15. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not, so I will answer it as though it wasnt. You can't control speed with a MAG throttle. You have 100% and 0% as your only options.

16. djranier

You use it for throttle, and rudder throw. Also the servo's that fire poppets.

17. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

It was a question. I was hoping to get clarification or learn a new trick. Wreno is very knowledgable and wanted to see if he had an idea of how to do it. No sarcasm involved.

18. Knight4hire

As long as we are talking about the DX5.
    The throttle and rudder servos work just fine on the left joy stick.

Now here is my confusion.
    The only switch on the transmitter that will activate the cannon servo is the toggle switch on the upper left corner of the transmitter!
    It does not matter which of the open sockets I use to plug in the cannon servo on the reciver!

Thus just does not seem right to me.

19. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Have you replaced the right gimbal with push buttons? Try that its great.

20. Knight4hire

Nope.
    She is still straight from the box at this point in time.

I am concerned that I may have a defective transmitter.
    I want to confirm that she is working as advertised before I do any mods.