Spectrum DX5e problem

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by radollar2000, Apr 4, 2009.

1. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

You should be able to use the right stick for that. If you can't you might want to try some known good servos, or perhaps hook up the throttle to the right stick and cannons to the left and see if they work. if that fails, you might be able to take the spektrum into a hobby shop and bind a new reciever to it, and see if that works. I'd be willing to bet you have a faulty RX before you have a faulty TX.

2. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Sorry for the delay in replying - been away from the board for a while. If you are using a MAG switch setup, you cannot use EPAs to adjust your speed. I for one, do not use MAG switch setups at all any more for that reason. Pulled my lasst mag switch out of a ship last year.
    That, and the fact that I find it far easier / cleaner / more reliable to use ESCs (Electronic Speed Controllers) for propulsion (and they give you adjustable speed, of course). Using an ESC does make haveing End Point Adjustments pretty much a requirement. EPAs are also useful in setting other parameters, like rudder throw, turret rotation limits (if using aproportional traverse like I do), etc. I pretty much chucked the DX5e modded to include manual EPAs at NABGO, and moved to the $33 hobby King 6 channel radio that has EPAs and was a trivial mod.

Remember, the HK is not for newbs or faibnt of heart - you need to download the manual and programming software, and suffer the Chinglish, and purchase the proper programming cable when you buy it, of course, but for a tatal cost of under $60 including express shipping from Hong Kong, still a pretty darned good deal. We used 2-3 of them and a Turborix (same unit, different seller" at NABGO and they were great.

Cheers,

3. Knight4hire

Knight4hire Active Member

I have finally sailed using my DX5.
    Everythning seemed to work as advertised.
    (Posted a short vid on "facebook")

Now I need to learn how to sail.
    I also noticed that inorder for the cannon to fire, I need to push the toggle full up before comming full down to fire the cannon.
    If I just press full down the servo will not fire the cannon.
    I think that it is because I am using micro servos in the hull.

It is a fast guns type BB cannon from BC.

4. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Sounds like something is not quite right. It may be a mechanical issue or, if the radio is modded, a wring issue. Or even a plumbing issue. Not enough info for my crystal ball to get focus.

One of the problems with a DX5e is the lack of EPAs to tune this stuff. I started adding EPAs to mine, but finally chucked it and modded a Hobby King 6ch computer radio (less than $60 including express shipping and programming cable, cheaoper if you are patient enough for slow-boat shipping). Easy mod, easy setup (once I had the programming software found, downloaded, installed, and working), as the radio has EPAS, trims, mixes, etc. Not trivial, or for a newb, but, then, neither is adding EPAs to a DX5e.

It now has the right stick replaced with a slider for traverse and a 3 position toggle for depression. One of the switches on the right shoulder is now a firing button.
    The top left pot controls the pump through an ESC.

Cheers,