Spectrum radios for aircraft only

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by Buddy, May 4, 2009.

1. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

If you want to throw it in the lake, you can jsut throw it in the mail and I'll take it. :D Pieces is parts and parts is pieces.

2. pba

pba Active Member

I have 2 dx6 radios and have never lost signal.You have fought against them.I think the secret is no watertight box.Both of my receivers are potted in epoxy and ar attached to bottom of deck.Nothing but balsa to get in way of signal. I cant imagine it working below waterline in a box with servos and brass firing valves around it to block signal.

3. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Note that the parkflyer receivers are not long range ... they were made as light as possible for tiny planes flown in close to the pilot.

4. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

We ;have several original DX-6's in the shop, several 6i's and one DX-7. We have never had a range problem. However, we have sent one back to Horizon to get repaired after an attempt to put a new regulator in it, and they repaired for Free! Also sent back 4 of the original receivers for repair, and they either repaired or replace for Free! If you have range problems, I suggest contacting Horizon directly!

5. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Well it like what Mike Magnus said this not the regular DX 6 this is the park flyer model and got an answer back from Horizon hobbies today. They said it is not a long range model and is meant for smalll planes to be in close area to pilot, basically 70 to 100 feet but on water the guy said I was lucky to get 30 feet.They had many problems with them and so they dont sell them any more. There is no replacement receiver to change out to try and get longer range.Wel I guess this is another live and learn not all 2.4 are made a like and wont always work they way you want. Guess I will shelve it and look for something else to put in my cruiser.
    Buddy

6. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Hmm ... the standard receiver should bind to the transmitter. But not sure about that.

7. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Actually none of the current receiver will bind to the old DX6 (DSM programming), all are DSM2 or above.

8. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

OK Buddy, I've been monitoring this thread. There are (2) Models, the Older DX6 (Park Flyer model) which have been discontinued a few years past and the replacement model DX6i which is a higher power model. The DX6 can only bind to the older receivers, the DX6i can bind to both the old reeivers and the newer DSM2 units for which it is made. I currently run a DX6 model, but will be changing to the newer 6i model this year as I have a bunch of DSM2 receivers. If properly setup the range is fine on the DX6 Model unit, I was one of the first ones to start using this radio many years past and have not had any issues such as you have described. A couple of questions though. 1. How are you powering the receiver? (This sounds more like what the issue may be) and 2. What is the receiver model number?
    As an FYI, I run all of my electronics in a small WTB installed in the bottom of the Tirpitz and can drive all over any of the ponds we battle on without issue.

9. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hi
    From what Horizon hobbies told me that were actually 2 different models of the DX6 , one was a more standard model and one was this parkflyer that I have.Mine says parkflyer right on both the transmitter and receiver , the receiver is a AR6000.Tiny thing with a cleaar case and 2 short ant. about a 1inch long coming out of the case at 90 degree angles. I have tried 2 different ways of powering the thing, through the esc proboat speed control and with a battery and had problems both ways.It was taped on the top of my water tight box with the ant not toughing any thing. Only things in side the box is one servo activating one popet valve , on push button switch for pump, and radio.Accroding to the guys at horizon hobbies these receiver had a bunch of problems and they quit selling or carring them cause of that, being that it is now out of warranty there is nothing they can do becaause it is past the date.The thing that throws most people off is when I tell them mine has a clear case, most say no they werent made that way, but mine is .

10. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

Yes, I have the Standard model. They were all referred to as "Park Flyers" when the came out as they were low power, but it sounds like to me that you have got a special version of that (I haven't seen one that has "Park Flyer" on it.) The other issue definately is the receiver, the AR6000 was the first variant and had issues (I believe HH even did a one for one swap to the replacement model AR6100). The AR6000 was prone to cutting out and losing signal. When did you buy this radio? This sounds like a Rev1 unit from 7-8 years ago

11. rstalnaker

rstalnaker Member

PS: Both the AR6000 and the 6100 came in a clear case. I might have a spare 6100 I can send you which will probably clear up the issue

12. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Just heard back from horizon hobbies and according to them the only receiver that would work is a BR6000, it is also out of production and unavailable.Others according to them will not bind to the transmitter.Thanks for the thought !
    Buddy

13. pba

pba Active Member

All dx6 radios were park flyers, as were the dx6i,the main differenve is that the dx6 is DSM format and the dx6i is dsm2 format. A dsm2 transmitter will work either but the dsm transmitter will not work dsm2. I dont use the dx6 xmitter much any more because of its poor battery time. I do use the dx6i xmitter to drive the old dsm clear receiver with no problems

14. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Hey guy I dont think you read my other reply were Horzion told me there was actually 2 different models sold of DX6 , a standard and a special one marked Parkflyer aircraft only. I was told by their tech depart that these had a range of 70 feet on a aircraft, guy said I was lucky to get about 30 feet in a boat , he had heard of much less.From what I understand and I am still catching up with everyone on the spektrums, alot of the airplane guys had problems with them even in their little park flyers and dumped them , I see a lot of them on the rc universe and ebay. From what I have been told and what has happened to me if you see one marked park flyer RUN AWAY !! RUN Forest RUN !!!
    Buddy

15. thegeek

thegeek Well-Known Member

I run a dx6 and haven't had any issues with them in about 6-7 years of battling.

Those that have had issues can contact me and I'll make you a offer to buy the transmitter and rx.

16. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

Which one do you have? Which receiver do you have?
    Buddy

17. thegeek

Dx6 trans
    Rx ar-6000

I love them and have three transmiters and 5 rx's,
    want to sell yours Buddy?

18. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

I still ask which one , do you have the ones that say park flyer system on it? On the receiver is it a clear case or is it the smoke colored case . I am not sure if you want mine beeing it seems to have a limited range. Eric was over yesterday and looked it over and was surprised that it is marked very differently then his DX6 or ones he has seen with the rest of the guys. What throws most everyone off is the aboslute tiny clear case the receiver is in. I had to sand the servo lead wire case to be able to plug in.

19. thegeek

both parts are labled "Park Flyer Model", and I bought two at different times
    used on Ebay, one new on Ebay. The Rx's aren't available new but are on Ebay used.

Overall I am happy with the Dx6 but I know that the new Dx6i is much better for about the
    same money they charged for the dx6. Better programing and battery life for no cost.

20. Buddy

Buddy Active Member

I have to say you have had much better luck then most that got these have had. I know of 5 in erie pa that a flying club had that are now sitting in a junk pile, guy lost a a nice fu corsair in to the trees !