Spectrum RX waterproofing options

Discussion in 'Electrical & Radio' started by CURT, Jul 29, 2009.

1. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I want to waterproof my Spectrum Rx but how do you guys exactly go about waterproofing these RX. There are open slots on the sides and around exposing the circuit board. :blink:

2. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

From what I saw in RI the receivers were housed in a waterproof box.

3. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

I put short extensions on each set of pins and then just fill plastic case with epoxy. Its easy to do and as long as you do a good job and cover every thing, get rid of air bubbles, etc its very reliable.

4. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Mine is in a block of wax but that will not work if you battle in warm climates. I would say scotchcote but that is hard to find and not getting easier. Epoxy works well.

5. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Would it be alright I wonder to seal the openings with tape, then add the extensions, then tool dip the recevior?

6. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Tool dip is OK, but it's not as good as Skotchkote. I have had tool dip crumble and peel away from flexible surfaces like wires, making little gaps for water to get in through. Skotchkote is much better about that (although still not perfect). Another option is to spray down the circuitboard with Corrosion-X, then re-spray it after every sink. This works very well for receivers, although it gums up and slows down servos after the first 10 or so sinks.

The epoxy and wax ideas are very good, especially since you've got a 2.4ghz receiver that you don't need to change crystals on. Just be sure to treat the servo extensions with care, 'cause if they rust, they're not replaceable.

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Good point, I didnt mention that I replace all the servo plugs in my boat with the mini deans 3 prong connectors. Much higher quality and far fewer corrosion problems. More reliabilty is worth the added time and expense.

8. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

That is the good feature of the wax. I had a problem, melted it down, fixed it and recast it.

9. mabgfounder

mabgfounder Member

Here is what I did for the one receiver I personally have waterproofed:
    1. pop open the RX case
    2. paint the circuit board with clear nail polish. Its important not to paint the crystal in place (not an issue for you) or to paint over any of the servo pins
    3. I then tool dip the whole assembly (crystal included) except for the servo pins
    4. reassemble the case and install in boat
    This has held up for almost ten years. The RX has only been submerged twice but it did not require any cleanup when pulled out of the water (worked right off the bat)
    I now have owned two ships with water tight boxes - Through them I have learned to hate water-tight boxes. They work great for a couple of years but eventually fail. Unfortunately they always seem to start leaking right after I start trusting them... I've sold one of the boats but on the other I pulled the top of the water tight box off. It keeps things dry until the boat sinks. It then makes a handy tub for soaking everything with alcohol.

10. Kotori87

True, very true! watertight box = evil!

11. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

:)That sounds great . I will do as you suggest. I agree wt boxes are evil.That's why I waterproof the servos and RX then install them in thebox as backup incase the box leaks.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. :)

12. Ragresen

Ragresen Member

Pry open the case and be rid of the sticky tape. Pour Epoxy into the bottom of case and set the Rx board into it. Be sure to tape off the pins with electrical tape ( Epoxy does not seem to stick to Electrical tape). Once the bottom is set then add more epoxy to the top of the board and then set the top cover in place. Let it all dry and then pull the tape from the pins.

I have had mine sit on the bottom at nats in 3 feet of water for an hour and no problems.

13. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

I agree, I hate the water retaining boxes also. Even if you don't get wet in there, moisture can form due to sitting in the sun and water.:plain:

14. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

I used to have an issue where my Mav-3 would vent excess gas into the box. Looked like my WT box was breathing. It would quickly tarnish all the brass in the box quickly. One thing I haged about the box is quick access. I hated breaking seals to get inside. I generally don't use wt boxes anymore but some cases like my Bismarck it works out ok.

15. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Ok will do. This is great help guys Tks. I am new to this Technology so I don't want to screw it up. :)

16. wrenow

wrenow RIP

Tooldip and Liquid Electrical Tape delaminate over time and foster corrosion.
    Epoxy is permanent if applies right, but makes repairs difficult if even possible.
    3MScotchkote is the common waterproofing agent of choice (yes, there ore some special silicone based conformal coatings available for electronics, and some exotic technologies, but....)
    Scotchkote is simple, reliable, and holds up well over time. I have receivers that have been going on 7 years of combat without problems.

Cheers,

17. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Where do I get this Scotchkote?

18. Kotori87

Lowes carries it, at least in California. Not sure about other places, though.

19. rarena

rarena Well-Known Member

Lowes stopped carrying it in NY but here is the manufacture link

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MElectrical/Home/ProductsServices/Products/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECIE20OES1_nid=6Q3BGBPJ7CbeFR7R0D83TCgl

20. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Here in WA I've seen (and bought) it at my local Lowes in the electrical dept.