spraying epoxy

Discussion in 'General' started by Kotori87, Nov 4, 2010.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Does anybody know of a way to effectively and cheaply spray epoxy? I am looking for a way to simultaneously finish and seal wooden structures like hulls and boat boxes without hours of tedious brushing. I have tried other sealants, like spray-can varathane, but those are nowhere near as effective as epoxy, nor do they look as good.

2. Markus.Andersen

Markus.Andersen Member

I don't have a solution for Your problem, but here a link for those interested in the problems regarding spraying epoxy.

http://ezinearticles.com/?What-You-...id=4304363

I have not tried it, but wouldnt preheating epoxy (like say 40-50 degree celcius) make the uncured epoxy more liquid and more easily to brush on.
    (Dont forget to use a well ventilated area to work in, epoxy fumes are not good for You).

/Markus

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I am sure that if polyester resin can be sprayed that epoxy resin can be. What mix or trix to make it work... I dont know. We need an expert.

4. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

contact the west systems folks, if it can be done, they will know how to do it.

5. modelshipsahoy

modelshipsahoy Vendor

Dump gun. The epoxy is mixed in the cup, then the lid slips on as a cap with a vent hole and nozzle. The nozzle fits into the bushing on the gun and no materials get into the gun works. Just have to tip the gun forward while spraying and tip it back upright when you release the trigger. When your done, you just clean up the lid.

Just need to spray it thick enough to have enough mass of materials to support the reaction. Thin coats can take weeks or even months to fully cure.
    D0B1468E-A05D-4CA1-9BFD-4FE6DF8DE3AB.jpeg

rcaircraftnut likes this.
  6. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

Think I will stick to tedious brushing hehe.