Spring Rumble in Ravenna 2008

Discussion in 'Washington Treaty Combat' started by froggyfrenchman, May 3, 2008.

1. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I understand your logic. Get those ribs together!!

2. klibben

klibben Member

Unfortunately I wasn't there on Sunday, so I didn't even get to see Josh...

Yeah, I've heard Mogami's rule the pond with Treaty...

3. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say they rule the pond. They're pretty awesome cruisers, but they have their weaknesses too. If a capital ship manages to get a hold of one it's pretty much over. Treaty is all about team work.

4. klibben

klibben Member

well every ship has disadvantages - especially when a capital ship gets ahold of them!

5. Gettysburg114th

We count sinks and not points so it would be very hard for any cruiser to rule the pond. You can have a hole lot of fun but, it would be real hard to sink someone with a cruiser. Not out of the question but, it would be hard. That's why I am going with a ship with dual sidemounts. Now that I think of it, it has dual everything, dual pumps, dual sidemounts and dual bow guns.

6. crzyhawk

And easily twice the patching!

7. Gettysburg114th

Hey, why doesn't Bob get wet??

8. the frog

the frog Member

The bulged heavy cruiser mogami is only 35 knots the light cruiser flat sided with 15 6inch guns can run 36.Mikey looked that up last year for lees mogami when it ran with us in treaty

9. crzyhawk

Thanks for correcting me on that. I've really only ever considered the light cruiser variant because it looks cooler in my opinion. I think the hulls that Ralph made are bulged, heavy cruiser hulls, so they'd only be able to do 35 knots. If the Mogami was built on one of those hulls, it would need to be slowed down a second to 25 seconds rather then 24.

10. the frog

the frog Member

35 kts or 36kts it is still a killer.

11. klibben

klibben Member

Sean Hert made a mold for the flat sides Mogami (which is what I have)

12. the frog

the frog Member

Didnt I see 5 twin turrets on your ship saturday

13. crzyhawk

I'm pretty sure that the Kumano/Suzuya 8" cruisers have a different set of bulges compared to the Mogami and Mikuma. After the Tomozoru and 4th fleet incidents, construction on the Kumano and Suzuya were halted, and measures to increase their stability were built into the hull. A look at their hull lines show that the Kumano and Suzuya ended up with far less radical bulges then did the Mogami and Mikuma did because the changes were integrated with construction.

So, as 8" cruisers they are allowed to have less bulgy sides.

14. Gettysburg114th

Mike, I thought I read that the Suzuya was the only ship in the class to be built with bulges?

15. crzyhawk

I'm pretty sure that's not correct. Suzuya was the first ship to be COMPLETED with bulges, but looking at their lines, they are much more integrated then those on the Mogami and Mikuma. That's because they were added during construction as opposed to failing their sea trials and having to go back into the yards for a rebuild like Mogami and Mikuma did. Mogami and Mikuma's bulges are a lot more radical because they were added after completion.

I am positive that Kumano was the last to complete and incorporated all the same changes that were made to the Suzuya design.

16. klibben

klibben Member

Actually, I believe that the Kumano was even more bulked up than Suzuya.. Suzuyas sea trials revealed her stern was still too weak and would warp during trials (due to using electrical welding to try and lighten her up) and therefore Kumano was even further reinforced.

17. Gettysburg114th

Thanks Mike, I knew that Suzuya was completed with bulges but never really read up on the Kumano. I know the hull I had from Canada was not bad as far as bulges. It would not be hard to skin.

18. crzyhawk

I'll look those two (Suzuya and Kumano) up specifically and see what I can find in my Japanese cruiser bible.