Spy photos received!

Discussion in 'Construction' started by JustinScott, Oct 26, 2007.

1. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

I thought that the Yamato was the first to introduce the "bulbous bow," which was unique in that it stuck forward, creating a wave to cancel out the bow wave. The Iowa had an "Atlantic Bow." It has a flare above the waterline to deal with waves and narrows to a point at the waterline to cut through the water. Below, it bulges outward, but does not extend forward, like a true bulbous bow. Instead it is perfectly vertical below the waterline. See the profile view here: http://www.navsource.org/archives/01/016179.jpg

edit: it seems the direct link isn't working, so it's the 17th picture on the Iowa's page at www.navsource.org

Your cross-section is correct, but the profile is a bit off. It means more work for you, but on the bright side, you can have a more accurate hull.

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

Hmm! Looks like I do have it wrong!! :) Great catch guys!! Perfect timing too! Just a matter of loping it off with a knife.

I will make the change and repost it.

BTW.. Yamato was the first as it was built b4 iowa.

3. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

The Yamato class introduced the first "true bulbous bow. Other ships had them but they were very small at the lower stem of the bow. Bismarck and IOWA for example have small bulbous bows. Yamatos is more like a supertanker bulbous bow.