Sri Ayuthia/Dhonburi Build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Bob Pottle, Aug 26, 2008.

1. djranier

djranier Well-Known Member

Here she is with everything except for the Super, she weights right at 3 pounds 1 ounce. Getting close, the super will have to be super light.

[​IMG]

Here is a picture of the regulator, adapter, and 16 gram bottle, together it all weights 7 ounces.

[​IMG]

2. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

wow, its tiny

3. djranier

Here is a picture referencing the SA to my PE, which is also a small class 4 ship.

[​IMG]

4. BoomerBoy17

BoomerBoy17 Active Member

my point exactly : )
    My graf spee is what 53 inches? i bet it dwarfs boths of your ships.

5. djranier

Well Bob I decided I need lighter batteries. I have discussed the SA with the MWC shiplist committee chairman, and he says it would get 3.2 pounds.

With these 2/3A 1400 mAh Nihm cells I will save 6.5 ounces in battery weight, and they are high discharge, so will run a pump.

I got them at All-Battery on e-bay. I see no other way to meet the weight.

I had them put up a listing for just 20 cells for me, that way I will have 4, 6v packs to battle with it.

Visit this site

6. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

David,
    With a max. wt. of 3 lbs 3.2oz and a hull and equipment wt. of 3 lbs. 1 oz. the superstructure could have weighed only 1.2 oz. presumably including fiberglass turrets - impossible IMO!

The additional 6.5 oz. from the battery change will give nearly 1/2 lb for the superstructure and fg turrets. That should be more than enough.

Bob

7. Bob Pottle

David,
    What's the latest news on the Sri Ayuthia build? Once you've figured it out I'll copy what you've done. [8D]

Bob

8. djranier

Hi Bob
    Well My Daughter and I worked on the Sri all week, and she is just about done. Just needs some touch up paint, add the waterline, and put together some battery packs for her.
    As of now she weight's right at 3 pounds 1.5 ounces. So I have almost 2 ounces left. Just enough for the red paint, and waterline tape I hope, LOL.
    I did float her, and she rides super nice, but seem to be a bit high out of the water. I should of sanded down the top deck edge's around 1/4 or so. But it should not matter, will make her harder to sink. She has a single shot 25 round bow gun installed. The barrel reaches right to the forward deck edge. The port rear 8 inch gun is where the pump outlet is installed. So it will look like it firing out of the gun.
    [​IMG]
    Update. Had her in Rick's canal today. Wow is she fast, it about leaps out of the water on startup, and when given a full reverse from full forward, she also just about leaps out of the water. But she has a ESC installed in her, so that is not a issue really.
    Biggest issue was, I got the new Palmer, and it was at 120 psi, as soon as Rick and I tried to adjust it, it shot up to over 400, and blew out a hose. We took it apart and see no issues with it, re oiled it, and tried again, and now it just blows CO2 out the side port. I'm not to fond of the Palmers, brand new never been used 20 second wonders.

9. Bob Pottle

David,
    I had the same problem with a Palmer reg. for 28gm capsules last October. It had only been used a dozen times or so and was dialed in for 150 psi on my gauge. During prep for launch it suddenly vented all the CO2 out the side of the reg. body and was off scale on the pressure gauge when rechecked.
    Your post reminded me I'd better mail it to Palmer for repairs. I've got 3 more of them and hope I don't experience more of the same problem. Can you recommend an alternative light weight reg. to Palmer?
    Bob

10. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

http://www.genuineinnovations.com/composite-regulator.html I know one fellow was playing with these, I do not know how they function in our environment. there is no commercially available co2 tank fitting for this regulator yet, unfortunatly...

It is interesting, that is the same experience I had with my palmer... dang thing makes me nervous.

-Greg

11. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

Ive heard a lot of bad things about the palmers. It makes me truly want to look in other directions for a reliable, lightweight regulator

12. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Anymore, just be absolutely certain to run a relief valve downstream of the regulator. At least then, while you may be out of gas, you won't damage your plumbing...

13. djranier

I had ordered the low pressure model, 0-300 psi. But after looking at their picture on their web site, It looked like to me that I had a mix of parts from the different pressures. I called Palmer and talked to the tech department, and they confirmed what I thought. But said don't worry about it, it will still work. Ya, sure for like 30 seconds.
    I have been looking for another light weight regulator, but the best I have found is right a 9.5 ounces, looks just like one of the cut down types, but is manufactured that way. Was planning on getting one to try, they are right at $40, but would like somthing about 1/2 that weight.

14. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

Great thread here.
    I have only been able to look in on it on occasion. But it pretty much explains why it is not a good idea to start out in the hobby with some of the smaller ships. These folks have been around a while and know their business.
    Well done.
    Mikey

15. djranier

Well I had ordered a couple of the Palmer rebuild kits, and received them today. I rebuilt the Palmer, and for now it is working fine, I also purchased some of their synthetic oil to use on it.

Got everything together and tested, now all Heidi has to do is paint the bottom red, and add the waterline. And she's ready for the Savannah battle, I will use that battle to fine tune it, and then plan on taking it to Nats this summer to use during convoy battles, and unt 3 and below battles on Wed.

16. Powder Monkey

Powder Monkey Active Member

been using my Palmer rock the boat for 2 years now with no problems i love it .i don't know any one who has one and doesn't love it if any trouble it is usually just maintenance or lack of :whistling:

17. djranier

Well I guess you have been lucky, all I have seen and heard is them venting gas, at just about every battle I have ever been to. And my new one lasted all of 30 sec's. I would not think it would require any maintenance after such a short time.

18. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

He isn't the only one with good Palmers. I have two of them. Both work great. One of the regulators is 13 years old and only needed one rebuild a few years ago after taking it out of storage for the Richelieu's gas system. :)

I have heard the Palmer can vent air. 9 out of 10 times it is because of a cut internal o-ring or lack of lubrication. Before I air up any Palmer regulator for the day, I drip two drops of lightweight machine oil into the ASA adapter end of the regulator before screwing on the air tank.

19. djranier

Well everything is tested, and she's ready for next weekend.
    [​IMG]

20. djranier

Well she worked like a champ. My daughter ran her around all weekend pretty flawlessly, till this morning when the rudder servo died, just stopped working for no apparent reason, must of been the huge torqe requirement turning the ship, LOL.

Bob everyone really liked it, Don C did sink it once Sat, the big meanie fired his triple sterns into it twice from point blank range, and I think just blew it over from the CO2 discharge, the 6 above's did not sink it, because as soon as he fired, it flipped right on to its side, then went down by the bow. The stern stayed above the water for like 15 seconds, and the pump was still shooting water out the rear gun barrel, really cool looking.

Her only complaint, after about 1 to 2 minutes of battling, the 25 BB's were gone, and she had to come off. It looks like it will run for 20 mins or so on the 1400 ma battery pack.