Stands?

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Wolcott27645, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Wolcott27645

Wolcott27645 Member

What are people using to keep their ship up right while building it to keep it from tipping over?

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Personally I use a table, I have seen others build a cradle from two plywood uprights with hull shaped grooves fastened to a board or even PVC/abs pipe to form a cradle.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Designing a boat stand depends heavily on what you need it for. Stands range in purpose from preventing under-hanging props and rudders from banging on the table to protecting the ship during transport to being a complete travel kit with all necessary support gear/tools in one spot.

4. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Something heavy on either side.

I usually toss a block of wood under the aft end of my derf to keep the running gear off the bench, but otherwise its stable enough without a cradle.

Nylon straps slung from uprights make a decent and adaptable cradle.

5. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

If my ship doesn't have a big flat area on the bottom (or even quasi-flat), I get a flat board, and use super glue to attach wood blocks against the hull at front and rear to keep it from rolling while I work.

6. Iunnrais

Iunnrais Active Member

Just a flat workbench for the most part. I will use an old SLAs placed strategically inside if I need to keep a ship over on it's side while I work on it. I've also got a few foam blocks from various packages that can be used to help prop them up as well if the hull likes to rock.

7. Wolcott27645

Wolcott27645 Member

I have a 4'x8' assembly table with my table saw inset so I have lots of feed out. I was thinking of using my cornhole bags to help prop it up since its not nice enough to play right now!