Starter Boats

Discussion in 'Pacific Model Warship Club' started by Z Boat, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

I would like to discuss two gun starter boats. If you take fast gun, big gun and 1/72 and scratch build them they would all cost about the same ($400 for a complete 1/72 2 gun destroyer) except the Big Gun would not need a co2 system for the single shot boats saving about $100, but if you use kits the cost will be about double for the 1/144 boats (no kits for 1/72) but for people who cant build its a kit or buy a boat ready to go. The attached boat is one of three starter/loaner boats we built for people to use to get some experience while they build their own boats. They are American four pipers and we have Allied the USS Blue, Axis the IJN P102 and the swing boat Campbell Town ( Germans had it for 6 hours before she blew up) They have two 3/16" guns (fixed and easy to make) one fore and one aft with 50 round per barrel, 1 pump with a 1/4" discharge ( bought on line) and these are very competitive boats and in the hands of a good captain they can take on the larger boats with ease. These boats are around 53" long and turn on a dime and are very low maintenance, take little damage and the 3/16" ammo can hole a boat at 10' easy so point and shoot keeping your bow or stern pointed at your target. From what I have been told Fast gun is very similar just a little shorter range with their starter boats. Back to the $100 savings of the single shot boats, unless you are playing in a pool or a very small pond you will spend around 90+ percent of your time running and reloading and not in combat plus you do not learn about co2 systems or how to aim your guns (point blank to hit) but for some people this is all they need to have fun. So as I told Scharnhorst when he was looking for a format do your research before you start building and have fun. RC Combat 010.jpg RC Combat 012.jpg

2. Gary Powell

Gary Powell Well-Known Member

Here's my daughter's under $400 (including radio), two gun destroyer the HMwMS Stockholm. For this price we even got the front gun to rotate. 20140524_121330 (2).jpg

Tugboat and SteveT44 like this.
  3. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Here is another two gun starter boat the B-110. RC Combat 002.JPG RC Combat 004.JPG RC Combat 005.JPG

4. Cid

Cid Member

that looks real nice Z

5. Z Boat

Z Boat Well-Known Member

Thanks Cid. You also have a good starter boat.

6. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

How big are DD's in 1:72scale??

7. Gary Powell

Since it is a common that many feel 1/72 scale is to large to be practical, I would like to provide a comparison. Locally we had someone that was very negative towards 1/72, making many references to the fact that we had a 12' USS Missouri and how big and unsafe it was. Knowing all along that the ship was used for promotional purposes and had never seam combat.

When you compare like performing ships from 1/144, with their 1/72 equivalent, you get the following:
    1/72 SCALE 1/144 SCALE
    upload_2016-1-20_16-3-43.png
    We really don't have any ships in the 30 inch range that would be equal to a 1/144 destroyer. Most of the ships we run are what is shown on the list above. Most are between 50"-70", which is equal to the 1/144 Cruisers and Battlecruisers. The Capatani and Mogador are only run during large or special events. We also have a couple large Cruisers that do play combat occasionally and they are in the range of 97" to 102".

When you look at the ships we primarily run, you can see we basically run the same size ships as 1/144. What we consider our starter ships, but everyone has them are the examples above from the 51" DKM B-110, to the 58" HMS Onslow. These ships only get just 2 guns.

8. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

...how in the world is a battleship the size of a canoe more unsafe than a canoe, a watercraft commonly held to be perfectly safe when operated sanely? You're not even in it... Maybe this person should go picket a outdoor emporium or something.

9. Gary Powell

We fully understood that it was purely a retaliatory remark that played very well in the local newspaper. The comment was about the 12 foot length and weighing over 400 pounds. It was also implied that since we were running such a large ship, that it was armed with many more guns, making it extremely unsafe. Now we kind of joke about it, but at the time it did boil the blood of a more than a few members. Our largest ships are the USS Missouri at 12'-4", the DKM Tripitz at 11'-4" and the HMS Prince of Whales at 10'-5". As I said, none have been in combat, but they have been in a couple of parades and used as displays at several events. If you want to talk about big, look up Cecil Gates and his "Friendship Fleet". He use to ride in his; one being a 36' UUS Arizona. His story about building and operation of his ships is fascinating.

10. rcaircraftnut

rcaircraftnut Well-Known Member

No surprise you found a Libtard who had no understanding of what we as hobbyists do, but is immediately an expert on what is safe and what isn't. You are in the Capital of Libtardism after all. You all may be angry but I have to be honest as I know no other way, anyone who thinks like those gun grabbing, sense of entitlement, Liberals, is an IDIOT, not worthy of breathing the same air as those of us who have some basic sense. Ok, rant off, if you are offended by anything I said, please UNread this post.

WillCover likes this.
  11. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

12. Gary Powell

That's a good one; a bit expensive. I would check with Steve at Strike Models. I know he picked up a mold for a 1/72 destroyer, but I don't know if they have started to sell them yet. Sorry I don't remember which one, but I do remember it was going to make a good 2 gun starter ship. I believe it was also British.

13. Cid

Cid Member

You may also want to check with Mcspuds, he told me that he would make 1/72 scale ships if you wanted one