starting the Admiral Graf Spee

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Treaty Combat Fleet' started by JasonC, Aug 25, 2008.

1. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

ok so im starting my Admiral Graf Spee asap seeing that new jersey is a bit big till i get used to combat so im gonig to get AS and glatton on the water now. i just owundering if my hull marking looks good?
    [​IMG]
    [8D]oh and grats to anyone that can guess the show in the background that i was waltching[8D]

2. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Nothin like a little B5 action...

3. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Jason,
    It looks about right for rib and stringer locations. Did you calculate the allowed impenetrable area using 15% of the LOA? The area for ribs is that figure less 2" for the bow and 1" for the solid stern areas, then divide what's left by whatever width of rib you're using to get the number of ribs. The bulge stringer can extend one rib beyond the point where either end of the bulge is no longer prominent.

Bob

4. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Are you using 1/4 ribs or the standard size of 3/8ths?

5. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

im using 1/4 i don't get a good rib count with 3/8 and i dins it easier to use the 1/4 for sheeting.

6. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

That is a nice looking hull. I have always used 1/4" ribs on my boats. Gives you a better looking hull after sheeting.
    Thanks,

7. crzyhawk

crzyhawk Well-Known Member

On my Invincible I alternated 3/8 and 1/4 inch ribs, which seemed to be a good compromise.

8. Bob Pottle

I've never used 3/8" ribs because I don't like to sheet across 'windows' more than 2 1/4" wide. If necessary I'll use 3/16" ribs but only if the hull is thick so the narrower ribs won't be too weak.

An exception is the tiny, light weight Sri Ayuthia hull. At 21" long the only way to get enough ribs to sheet it properly is to reduce the impenetrable bow area to 1" and the stern area to 3/4", and use 3/16" wide ribs. Of necessity (2.7 lb wt. limit) the ribs are less than 1/8" thick.

Bob

9. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

ok next thing i would like to know is what guns setup should i use a triple rear or dual rear and single bow or something of that sorte?

10. bb26

bb26 Well-Known Member

As the bow curves upward I would not use a bow gun. Just a thought you could set up your triple stern as a single/dual.

11. crzyhawk

I personally love the bow gun on my Salem. As a 3.5 unit cruiser I am set up with dual sterns and a bow gun. The Lutzow in our club I believe has a 75 round bow and 75 round stern. His darned bow gun is just evil...he plays the sniper quite well.

Dual bows and a single stern gun might be nice if you can get them on target.

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

LOL Jason... 'Mister Garibaldi, a moment of your time?' B5 rocks :)

13. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

ya i know tugs too bad there hasent been anything up to par since.

14. Chris Easterbrook

Chris Easterbrook Well-Known Member

I was thinking of two different gun layouts for my Graf Spee, the first is the triple stern mount of three 50 round guns. The second was a dual mount and a single spurt gun in the centre or my wife is thinking about a triple stern mount with all spirt guns, after looking at the hull again I too would not put a bow gun on this model due to the way the bow curves upward.

15. Bob Pottle

Chris,
    I've been looking at armament options for Graf Spee but they're different for a Washington Treaty model. In Treaty only Class 1 models can use spurt guns, which is why my Class 2 Krasni Krim will be built for IRCWCC with 4 x 0.5 unit spurt guns in the bow casemates.

For the GS I've been thinking of dual stern guns with 1.5 units each (not allowed in IRCWCC) or dual stern guns with 1.0 units and a bow gun. Despite the rising bow I think you can train a BB cannon within the 15 degree arc to either side and get some down angle on it. The cannon should be in one of the outer gun barrel postions.

I like your dual stern gun, single spurt gun option for IRCWCC.

Bob

16. HMCS

HMCS Active Member

Little Rock will have dual stern 50's and a single 25 round bow gun. Bow gun mainly just because I know if I don't put it there I'll always be getting chances to use it.

17. crzyhawk

That was the original way I was planning on fitting out the Salt Lake City. I'm reconsidering that option, and looking at 50 round bow gun, 50 round stern gun and 25 round stern gun. Both stern guns will be set up to fire off different servos but in the same turret, so pulling back will fire the 50 rounder, left will fire the 25 rounder and diagonally left/back will fire both.

The reason for the change is, after running Phil's USS Newport News at the WNC this summer, I really enjoyed the bow gun. With this set up, I'll be able to bow gun when I want to, stern gun when I want to, and when I have a really good stern gun shot, use duals.

18. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

If I convert my Graf Spee to COMBAT-X style the Spee would get 4.5 units. I have the option to make the half unit a spurt Torp gun carrying 25 rds and make the remainder a 50 unit cannon. Or take the 1/2 unit and make a 1/2 unit pump.

Should be interesting