Steal the Bacon

Discussion in 'Scenarios / Gameplay' started by Kotori87, Oct 1, 2010.

1. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

At the WWCC's last battle, we tried an interesting new scenario. The WWCC has a long tradition of pushing disabled ships back to shore using other, not-disabled ships. This involves very carefully ramming the disabled vessel (without causing damage), then throttling up and powering it home. Many skippers are very good at this, so at the last battle, the Combat Director decided to make that the object of the game.
    1) As usual, we split up into two teams, Red Team and Blue Team, and set up a Red Team port and a Blue Team port.
    2) Unlike usual, the Combat Director placed a lifeguard Rescue Tube halfway between the ports and about twenty feet out to sea, and declared it "the bacon."
    3) The objective was for each team to push the bacon back to their own port. Whichever team stole the bacon, won.

For the first minute or so, all was quiet except for a few faint whispers as both teams tried to maneuver into pushing position and drag the bacon home. Then someone realized that it'd be a lot easier to steal the bacon if the other team was all sunk. One ship fired. Then another ship fired back. Then a third ship opened fire, and within moments the air was filled with the roar of cannonfire. Like Cargo is King and the Cage Match, the Steal The Bacon game devolved into one of the most violent games I have ever seen. Ten minutes into the game, the bacon got run aground. Ships crowded around, trying to free the bacon but getting stuck themselves, and other ships preyed on the stricken ships on shore. My own Prinz Eugen sank in such shallow water, I didn't realize I had sunk until the water inside the ship flooded my rotation servo. At the end of the round, the Bacon was firmly stuck about 20 feet from the Blue Team port, for a Blue Team victory.
    In post-battle analysis, we determined that
    1) if the "bacon" gets stuck on shore, you need to throw it back out to sea
    2) balance the locations of the ports and the ships of each team based on the wind. If one port is upwind of the other, give that team the advantage in ships.

2. warspiteIRC

warspiteIRC RIP

Sounds like a scenario from one of our tank battles! We have had various scenarios which involve such things as the general and his mistress in which the general and his mistress are somewhere on the battle field and must be brought together at a particular point on the battlefield, such as the church. Others have included: recycling (picking up containers on the battlefield and delivering them to a set location), Capture the town (eliminate the enemy from the town), etc. 1/6 scale tank combat is actually an off shoot of IRCWCC warship combat as the founders came from warship combat. See http://rctankcombat.com/ for more details.

3. jamesyoung

jamesyoung Member

I was daydreaming while waiting for glue to dry ... or maybe I was hallucinating..
    whatever, i envisioned a small beachball, covered in metal, like washers, or those leftover slugs from electrical switch boxes. Then every ship has a boom attached to the stern with a magnet attached, that when backed up to the ball would attach to it, then it could be towed to the port.
    I have no idea who would win in a tug-o-war though...
    james

4. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

He who has the strongest magnet

5. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Yep. Unless the magnets are more powerful than one ship's motors, but what are the odds of that?
    We found that by pushing the "bacon" around instead of pulling it, the little boats had a role as well. They could attempt to disrupt the other team while the other team was pushing the "bacon", and they could act as little tugboat assistants for their own team's bigger, more powerful pushers.

6. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Has any one tested thrust vs. rare earth magnets? Interesting experiment there.

7. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

All but the smallest Rare-Earth Magnets easily have more pull than thrust that most ships can produce. Highest thrust I've seen out of a fast gun boat is just over 3lbs, most are under 2lbs. With the slower speeds of big-gun your thrust numbers would be even lower.

8. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Hey Marty, If your watching this thread... we need to do this at NATS... as well as the circle of death... Best way I know to remove the old balsa skin after NATS..LOL, have others blow it off!

9. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Sounds like the aquatic vesrion of R/C Tank scoccer! I don't think Marty was there on that epic day my Cromwell slammed the ball home for the first (and only) score of this up and coming death sport.

10. totaldestruction

totaldestruction Active Member

11. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

This one? http://www.rctankcombat.com/tanks/T040/

12. SteveT44

Yeah, we used to go down to Danville for their yearly show. Haven't been in a while though. We setup a firing range with an artillery piece and the kids would wail paintballs all day. It was a big hit.

13. SteveT44

Yep, that ones mine.

14. totaldestruction

totaldestruction Active Member

Ah, I had assumed you ran 1:16. Built from scratch, that's awesome.
    As for the bacon, I know the thought if static guns and stuff along that line isn't very well liked (rightly so), but I am just throwing these out there so don't hate on me for it:
    Putting a static gun into the objective/bacon to shoot at ships?
    Creating minefields (not the immobolizing type) to navigate through or around? These would be along the lines of sub surface spurt guns or something I guess. Just throwing ideas around.