Steampunk Flotilla?

Discussion in 'Steampunk Flotilla' started by SteveT44, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Anachronus

Anachronus Well-Known Member

Probably for the best.

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

On the plus side, I've gotten some neat steampunk whimsical superstructure drawn up for printing.

3. Anachronus

Lots of extraneous brass work ?

4. Tugboat

Indeed. A steampunk sea control cruiser (Guns, with a flight deck)

5. Anachronus

Hmm...for aircraft are you going autocyros or something really odd like ornithopters?

6. Tugboat

Was thinking autogyros, with a few small dirigibles for AEW and UNREP :) Autogyros are easier to print :) I'm still adding detail to the main SS pieces. Like my Malaya, it'll be a multi-part SS.

7. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Armoured Vanships!

8. Tugboat

Heh. Wait'll you see it. I copied the printable part and I'm drawing enough details on the copy to make it look cool enough to show a 2D rendering of. Not all the details, but some :)

9. Anachronus

Are there plans for the CP hulls yet?

10. Anachronus

Are there plans for the CP hulls yet?

11. Tugboat

I have the ACR plans, you'd have to ask Steve about PC. I did sneak out to the shop and verified that I have the wood on hand to build it.

12. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

Did we settle on a size for the PC?
    Also Tug, I have some refinements on the AC plans I'll ship over tonight. Just some more detail around the prop cutout.
    Steve

13. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

It has been some time since I looked at this forum. The standard size, simple hulls, one propeller, and even the one gun helps with the one issue all hobbies are dealing with--the need for new members. Sadly, the new generation does not have the time or the patience for the detail work. They also lack the money.

Steampunk seems to allow low cost, easy build combat ships with the ability to scratch build superstructures to one taste. It is a great concept !

For those going to NATs, good shooting.

A
    Astatula, FLA

14. Tugboat

Just ordered the prop, stuffing tube, etc from Vac-U-Boat.

15. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Guns, autogyros, and zeppelins? Sounds like a Victorian Era Imperial German Seas Control Ship. (Yes, I played alot of Star Fleet Battles, that's how I recognized the Space Control Ship concept) :)

16. Anachronus

Played SFB from year 1. It was a basically simple game with hundreds of rule exceptions. Leading for my friends and I to call for Steven V. Cole's head on a pike.

17. Tugboat

SFB got the idea from the US Navy proposals for a Sea Control Ship. But yes, I played SFB for a long time, still got the rules book.

18. Anachronus

Totally OT: We used to play with miniatures. I just recently found my SFB mix tape. Of course I don't have a cassette deck any more. :)

19. Tugboat

I still have mine somewhere... And I remember when the Battleships rules module came out; the next week at the weekly battle, I shocked my opponent when he asked what was going to confront his force and I told him Size. Class. FIVE. Hehehe. After the opening round of alpha strikes was exchanged, one of his two battlecruisers was a smoking wreck in space, and i'd lost 3/4 of my front shield. Ow.

Sorry for being even more OT!

2D render of the SKA (Sea Kontrol ACR) coming up today. Ska that! :) (cue brass section)

20. Astrosaint

Astrosaint Active Member

Greetings from Florida:

Steam punk is definitely a type of ship that a newbie can work with as a new captain. I have looked at an assortment of videos from conferences, bruhaha, etc and noted that most of the ships are 1910 design or later.

I suspect that the old steam punk ships (say 1884 to 1908) are not in fashion due to the fore and aft main cannon (some had only one cannon forward) and that fact that they were slow (scaling would require 18 seconds max or even less). The mode for speed would be 14 seconds and that is generous.

I would suspect that the gaming of a stempunk against a SoDak or a Fuso or even a Baden would be a challenge for the punk ship.

Still, the predred Texas, Maine (1892), HMS Terror, and others looks very regal on the water. The exhaust funnels of the time inspire along with the "odd shapes" of the superstructures are what made the late Victorian and Edwardian periods so interesting. Even the ranking's uniforms of the period looked regal--even if they were made from sail cloth.

Back to topic, I have some spare wood and other bits along with a single Strike Model cannon with the small cartridge holder for CO2. That allows for a predred design. I will see what I can manage with a small budget ( the only new thing this ship gets is a prop and shaft from Vac-u-Boat). Thanks for the supplier info Tugboat !

I will have pictures to show in a week or so. I just have only a skeleton to show.

Manuel Mejia, Jr. aka Astrosaint