Stern/Gallery/Bow Pen Discussion

Discussion in 'Age of Sail' started by McSpuds, Oct 5, 2013.

1. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

We can take the largest gun on a 1st rate ship, get the measurements at 1:48, then figure out how far out the cannon is when fully forward in it's gun port. The lenght that cannon sticks out from the hull would be the maximum "any" cannon can be sticking out on any ship....
    So say at scale, the Trinidad's cannons protrude from the hull 1". That 1" would now become the AOS standard for any guns on any ships. Including the bb cannons!

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I think just saying '1/2" is close enough' is good, without getting out my digital calipers. If someone shows up at a battle and they look okay, I'm likely to leave it at that :)

I suppose a giant piece might stick out 4' in real life. but the 32 pounders and 36 pounders? They've got long (for muzzleloaders) barrels, but they're poking out from behind the hull and other stuff that gets in the way. The main goal was to get the muzzle outside the people space so that they didn't take blast damage (nor damage the ship itself!).

3. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Yea, I dont see it being a issue till somebody has a 6" Stainless steel set of barrels sticking 4" outside the hull...

I'm going to actualy make some resin cannons with holes in them so I can run my bb cannons into them and use that as barrel protectors.

Unless you look at them real close, you will never know which ones are bb cannons and what is model cannons...

From looking at pics and such I would say they range from 1/2" out to about 1" but no further... I would just make a rule that cannons are not allowed to extend beyond 1" of the gunport and not allowed beyond the ship's beam. Since most ships have a very large difference between the beam and the gun decks, I would think that would work.

4. mike5334

mike5334 Well-Known Member

Kinda have to disagree on the beam part of that. There is plenty of ships, mainly smaller ones and many of the big late AoS ships that had flush sides to the hull, such as my own Requin, the Montebello, Suffern, etc. Besides, spearing another ship with barrels is considered a damaging ram which we have rules already in place for.

Frankly, perhaps we should wait until we see armed ships on the water and perhaps a battle before we keep on trying to change the rules. :)

5. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

No doubt we are going to have to see how everything shakes out...

I forsee many changes in the ships by this time next year as we see how things work or not.. :pinch:

6. tclark

tclark Member

I think the actual rate of gunfire will be quite low compared to the videos of modern warships I've seen. I took my frigate out (still unarmed) for another sail this September in a good wind (reduced sail) and the maneuvers were demanding. The amount of time my guns were fire-able was minimal. I've already thought i'll have to go before the wind or rest in irons to put a shot where I want it. Even when level, a little nudge moves your target out of sight line for another minute or so. I'm going to enjoy the tension. But the shots that do hit, when that side gets pressed under from a windward reach, that boat will be suffering!