Sticky Noob Thread

Discussion in 'Website Suggestions' started by jadfer, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I think its time we added a sticky thread for the new guys with several sticky topics at the top so that we dont have to repeat the same thing over and over and over and over with these new guys and kids.
    Any thoughts?

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

We could, but it won't help unless people actually read it, and I would venture to guess that a lot of people that require the repeating too, won't read it.

3. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

If we've got sticky beginner threads, we can politely remind newbies to read them. Without a sticky beginner thread, we'll never know if someone would have read it or not.

4. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

Do one of you guys have a completely ready to run ship with radio and batteries that you can drive to my house for less than $200?

5. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I agree Kotori, In any other forum I have been too the admins are very vigiliant about cross posting, spam, questions in the wrong threads, asking questions for which a sticky exists.. etc.

My thinking is to cover everything in some way, costs, list the formats, clubs, how to handle the for sale threads, etc.

Just a thought

6. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Part of the problem is there are so many forums, some of which are duplicates, which really there shouldn't be. Is somebody going to post sticky threads in every single one? Is this going to be one of those forums where the sticky threads take up the whole first page? I think it would be better to maybe have a FAQ link at the top of the page (right where the Home, Our Ships, Forum etc buttons are).

7. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

Just in a section of its own. "New to Forum - Start Here", something like that. Then we have a place to send the new guys. Should take some of the repetitive requests off folks shoulders.

FAQ is pretty much the same thing as well. Either way, whatever works.

8. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

I can certainly try something like that. It would be good to be able to direct people to FAQs. I do know that there are a variety of FAQs on other sites, and it's also something I've been wanting to do for Strike Models as well. For Maker Faire, we developed a sheet of what the cost would be for a couple of different ships in big gun and in fast gun, I can dig that up and contribute it.

9. Bob

Bob Well-Known Member

How about this one:
    http://www.portpolarbear.com/FAQ%20for%20MWC.htm

I do need to update a link or two I see.

10. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Bob, I wouldn't mind a link to Strike Models in there as a place to get supplies. =] Also, the Scrap combat hulls page at http://www.scrapcombatships.com/hulls.html could be good.

This FAQ page would need to cover big gun, fast gun, and treaty.

11. Kun2112

Kun2112 Active Member

Also, if I may be so bold, a list of clubs/formats that are active in a state/region.--on the forums. i.e. California has WWCC and SCRAP (sorry if I missed anyone) Big Gun and Fast Gun....
    Other weapons: "Why not use a magnetometer from a microwave oven to cause EM problems with other boats' receivers?" --or-- Why we do not use flame throwers, shotgun shells, and Barry Manilow records as weapons.