strange cannon behavior

Discussion in 'Weapons & Pneumatics' started by GregMcFadden, Feb 10, 2007.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

Well, I have come up with a cannon that behaves very strangely. It fires well, for being barrelless, but it full auto fires at a constant rate of ~2-3 rounds per second. I have never made one that behaves this way. I am hoping that when my barrel material comes in that it will tweak the resonant frequency to fix that issue. Anybody else have any ideas? Maybe the spring is too strong... hmmn.

here is a cannon picture
    [​IMG]

2. JustinScott

JustinScott Well-Known Member

If shells are repetativley being fired, that means the piston is allowing a shell to escape.

I would be willing to bet as you hold down on the trigger the air pressure is droping below the point where a the piston is fully extended or has enough pressure to hold back the shells. The piston lowers just slightly and a shell is released. All of a sudden there is no pressure on the piston (from the shell) & it extends back up. Then another shell hits the piston & reapplies pressure. & the whole cycle starts over again.

I would try a less powerful spring on the piston.

3. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'm with Justin. Try a weaker spring.

4. GregMcFadden

Yeah... I am not sure that a weaker spring exists, maybe I will tweak this one... I have seen multiple shots pass per piston throw but I had never before been able to make a cannon that fired at full auto at a regular non-full open rate with one piston throw per round. Just amazing to me. (that and that it's full auto is slower than I can push the button and get my other cannons to fire)

anyways, I need to go get another 20lbs of co2, I just ran out.

thanks all. I think it might also be a magazine that is just too long... The other thing that could be wrong is that the piston could be too loose in the housing, allowing too much air bypass...

5. JustinScott

You are going to get 20 POUNDS of CO2? Damn! Scuba tank I assume?

6. GregMcFadden

7. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

0_o How on earth do you fit a 20 lb CO2 bottle in a boat? I mean yeah, some boats are big, but not THAT big... ;)

8. JustinScott

I guess he is just using the 20lbs container to test the cannons...