Strike Models hardware kit Help.

Discussion in 'Construction' started by imralhir, Oct 19, 2011.

1. imralhir

imralhir New Member

I need some help.
    I have the Strike Models hardware kit HDW-BB for my HMS invincible (Treaty).
    I'm having trouble making since of it.

Also, I was wondering what is a good material to fill holes in the hull (fiberglass), such as the holes drill for the props?

Thanks,

Ben

2. KeriMorgret

KeriMorgret Facilitator RCWC Staff Vendor

Hi Ben,

Have you sent Stephen an email (stephen at strikemodels dot com)? He'll be happy to help you, and we'll make notes so that we can send better information about the hardware kit in the future.

Keri Morgret
    Strike Models

3. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

Filling holes and slots: More fiberglass!

You're going to need to elaborate some more on what you need help making sense of. Maybe some pictures with questions? Stephen over at Strike is also always very helpful, I'd suggest giving him a call.

Edit: I got ninja'd by Keri!

4. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

Insert shafts and hold them in the desired position with temp supports (balsa and supergule is my normal MO here), Then use tape on the outside of the boat to cover the rest of the openings, I generally use electrical tape but duct tape or masking tape would work just as well. Mix up some epoxy with some sort of filler, microballoons or other filler material(I use West System 403 microfiber filler) till you get a nice thick consistency that doesnt run all over the place. Apply this to the openings from the inside of the hull, be sure to fully fill the opening and get under the stuffing tube so you dont have any leaks. Wait till epoxy cures. Remove the tape and temp supports and you'll have a pretty smooth exterior and the shafts will be epoxied in place. Pretty easy to do with decent looking results that work well.
    Having a thickener (microballons or something else) to mix in with the epoxy base is pretty useful for filling all sorts of holes, dings, dents etc.

5. froggyfrenchman

froggyfrenchman Well-Known Member

I like to use the Bondo-glass. I don't add a lot of hardener, so that it cures slow enough that I can start cleaning up the extra with a hobby knife.
    Then a little sanding, and you are good to go.
    Mikey

6. buttsakauf

buttsakauf Well-Known Member

I second the bondo-glass method
    Mike B

7. gunsnrosesx

gunsnrosesx Member

i used e-6000 on the inside and on the outside i got some bondo repair car putty (sandable) and im using thatso i should have no leaks, fiber glass is also a great way ive seen alot of post nothing but fiberglass