Stringers

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Swiss Cheeze, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Swiss Cheeze

Swiss Cheeze Member

I have looked forever and probably asked a couple people this...sorry memory just isn't the same.
    Question?
    In regards to stringers! When looking at plans to make the ribs how do you know if you can have stringers?
    I know there are multiple formats and I just wanted to ask this to clear my conscience. I work much better with pictures than someone explaining something to me if someone has a drawing or diagram.
    I guess if I put them in I can always cut them out also.
    Thanks

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

What ship are you looking at?

3. Swiss Cheeze

Swiss Cheeze Member

Right now I am looking at the Kent. I think I asked you before Tug but again memory sucks. I just want to know when looking at plans for making the ribs what ships would get stringers or even if you need to put stringers in. Is that an option? Thanks again.

4. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

Stringers are used to help a captain define a hull feature that otherwise would not show if a stringer was not used. Such as a armor belt that has a visible line running down the hull... you would use a stringer to enable you to skin the ship and still show that "line" .. also any bulges, casemaent guns or knuckles. Anyhting that can be clearly seen in photos and plans that change the even flow of the hull.
    The rule is not meant to provide added armor protection from bb's. The rule is there to allow captains to define sertain hull features that normally would not show if skinned over. The stringers also aid in skinning large bulges or casement guns..
    Fastgun rules state....
    Here is the link to the rules for fastgun.
    mwci.org/rules.shtml

Hope this helps. I will look at the Kent.. and see...

5. McSpuds

McSpuds Vendor

There is a distinct bulge midship..... So I would say you can have a 1/8" stringer that runs the length of the bulge. The stringer starts at the closest rib fore of the bulge and ends 1 stinger aft of the bulge. In other words, you may extend that stringer forward and aft till it reaches the closest rib....

6. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Kent (since I have had much time looking at them, I feel safe saying this) gets one long stringer on the torpedo bulge amidships, which runs damn near 2/3 the length of the hull, and a shorter strnger near the bow, where there is a VERY pronounced knuckle. One of the more attractive features of the beautiful British cruisers. Mr. Pottle modelled it very nicely in the plug that his mold came from, now in the hands of Strike Models. The Kents are really nice looking ships, as are their Spanish sisters, the Canarias class.

7. Swiss Cheeze

Swiss Cheeze Member

Okay that helps a lot guys. I thought so but I just wanted to make sure with the experts. I would probably go with the strike one if I wasn't going bigger.
    And that helps with the smaller ships I am building currently.