Stuff for Sale

Discussion in 'North Atlantic Battle Squadron' started by Bob Pottle, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

I've accumulated too much R/C naval combat stuff and need to get rid of the "clutter" in the basement as Kim describes it. It does take up far too much space - getting rid of it will let me add a wargaming table, which is my main hobby interest now.
    For sale:
    IJN Ibuki - hypothetical CVL nearly complete by end of WWII and built for Treaty combat. Also suitable as an IRCWCC convoy ship. Uses one of Ralph Coles Mogami hulls but I reworked the hull in fiberglass to produce Ibuki's odd bulges. Has a very detailed 1/144 plastic flight deck protected along the edges by thick styrene. The large sponson for the island hs been moulded on and the detailed forecastle finished. Props and rudders are installed but no other 'guts'. It's available with a set of highly detailed (and correct) Japanese naval aircraft for display, which originally cost $12-15 each. Many photos in the build section of R/C Naval Combat up to end of current construction. $150 plus shipping.
    HMS Hood - very well known to NABS members and was in New Brunswick for a few years as a non-combat model. Passed through a few hands before I bought it back and has a new CO2 system installed but BB cannons have not been reinstalled. Cost me $850 to buy back but I'll sell it for less (plus shipping). A very accurately built superstructure based on Hood on sea trials in 1920 and from plans in Anatomy of the Ship: HMS Hood. That book also available along with a big (free) oak-framed b&w photo of Hood in the 1930's. Lost it's main topmast and one large deck ventilator while away - easily replacable.
    HMS/HMAS Albatross hull. Aussie, then RN seaplane carrier with a beautiful bulged hull, based on the RAN offical plans. Suitable for a convoy ship in its final role as a repair ship and also as a Class 1 IRCWCC combatant as the seaplane carrier. Check out photos of the 1/1250 scale Neptun model on their website. $80 plus shipping. I have the mould and can make more if required.
    I-400 - upper and lower hull, conning tower and large hangar moulded in fiberglass, plus plans for the deepened hull plan to improve stability. $115 plus shipping.
    HMS Vanguard - probably my best hull for R/C naval combat (mould sold to Strike Models). This is an extra thick hull due to the heavy damage Battlers Connection and Swampworks hulls (and my thicker ones too!) were taking from Battlers cannons in the NABS Yamato and Mushashi. Multiple layers of fiberglass matt totalling 3/16" - 1/4" thick in 'window' areas. Has several tranverse 3/16" brass rods installed holding sides at correct beam along length, and a fiberglass deck with moulded in hatch aperatures for 1/8" thick lexan (recommended) or plexiglass hatches. Also has a set of Grey Wolf Vanguard turrets and top and sideview 1/144 scale plan. $200 plus shipping.
    Contact me if interested. Preference to OAF, NABS and other Canadian battlers initially before general posting.

2. oldsalt05

oldsalt05 Member

Hell Bob,
    I would be interested in the Ibuki or maybe Vanguard. Don't need any combat systems, just something for my son to sail on the lake or display in my war room.
    Thanks,
    Larry
    larryd788@yahoo.com

3. oldsalt05

oldsalt05 Member

Hey Bob,
    I understand you want to give the members up there first shot at buying what you have, but if you get no offers I am interested, for the right deal I may be willing to trade canarias as part of the deal. Interested in the Hood also...
    Thanks,
    Larry

4. DemonWolf

DemonWolf Member

Hi I'd also like to express interest in the I 400 if no one says they want it. I am with the NETF so I don't think we be too far apart and I could possibly. Come pick it up. Please let me know :)

5. Bob Pottle

Another person who contacted me about the I-400 first - if that sale doesn't happen I'll let you know. Where are you located? I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia.
    Bob

6. Bob Pottle

So far the Hood, Ibuki and the hulls for Vanguard, Albatross and I-400 are spoken for. Looks like I'll be keeping the HMS Rodney hull - couldn't make up my mind whether to build it or the Vanguard over the last few years so did nothing on either.
    Canarias may be returning to me in the hear future and if that happens I'll be selling my fiberglass HMS Minotaur armoured cruiser model (3.5 units). This is a unique hull built by 'stretching' a Warrior Class hull made from my mould before it was sold to Strike Models. The ship is fun to use and used to team up with NABS squadron-mate HMS Black Prince, now part of the OAF fleet in Ontario. It's a well detailed model with two main and 10 secondary turrets.
    Bob

7. DemonWolf

DemonWolf Member

Ohey it's you Bob hi! Welcome to the club again. I'm in Ri like said in the other post. Thank you for the update.

8. Bob Pottle

Hi Demon Wolf,
    I'll rejoin the IRCWCC so I can compete in NETF events. It would be great if a battle is held in Maine because it' would be a relatively short drive from NB or a ferry ride away from NS.

9. Bob Pottle

One more hull for sale: Russian CL Profintern/Krasni Krim. This was the first hull from my mould and was modified with fiberglass to correct the error in the commissioned mould's side sponson height. The hull is 3/8" deeper than scale, as allowed by the IRCWCC rules to give higher displacement.
    2.5 combat units. 15 possible locations for main guns: 4 bow casemates very close to the waterline, 2 stern casemates at the same height. Alternative deck locations for the other 9 guns. You could even put the BB cannons amidships at 2 of the 4 side sponsons, firing fore or aft and trained out up to 15 degrees. $90US plus shipping. I think it's short enough to go by Canada Post airmail vs more expensive Fed Ex. Will have to box it to get a price.

10. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

That would work for me too. Then we can get more people from this side to participate. Be great to Allie myself with you Bob. I would use my Missouri.

11. Vandal

Vandal Member

We can certainly look into having some events up in Maine. -Vandal

12. Bob Pottle

A few months back someone was interested in buying my HMS Vanguard project and an HMS/HMAS Albatross hull. I've lost the email address so if still interested contact me.

Last weekend I found another I-400 hull (upper and lower hull) but no conning tower or hangar. The lower hull has some gelcoat defects that I can fill and sand, or I can sell it cheap. Photos can be provided. When the weather warms up in a couple of months I can make a hangar and conning tower to complete the set. Speak for it now and it'll be yours when complete!

13. PrepmasterNick

PrepmasterNick Active Member

How much would it be? scale 1/144?

14. NASAAN101

NASAAN101 Well-Known Member

hey Bob,
    Sorry to see you getting out of the Hobby.
    Nikki

15. Bob Pottle

I'm not getting out of the hobby Nikki, just doing some sensible downsizing. Too many unfinished ship projects and hulls in the basement and she who must be obeyed wants most of them gone!

I've still got HMS Gorgon and Minotaur and just got Spanish heavy cruiser SNS Canarias back after years in the US. Model construction and new fiberglass hull projects will be moving to my workshop at the cottage this summer.

An attempt to get the NABS club going in the fall of 2013 and battling in 2014 was unsuccessful. Future battling may have to wait until I've retired from full-time work (probably in December) and can travel to competitions in the US.

After leaving full-time work I'll be producing a series of new fiberglass hull molds for the hobby: some predreadnoughts and several WWII cruisers.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  16. ish311

ish311 Active Member

bob do you still have the second I-400 hull?

17. Bob Pottle

Yes but it's spoken for. I can make more in the spring if you want one.

18. ish311

ish311 Active Member

when spring comes around i would be interested in getting another hull if you do make more.

19. Bob Pottle

With yet another blizzard inbound for Sunday it will be a late spring. I probably won't start making hulls until May.

20. CURT

CURT Well-Known Member

Yeah the cold snap is affecting my builds here too.