Stuffing tubes

Discussion in 'Construction' started by GregMcFadden, Apr 30, 2008.

1. GregMcFadden

GregMcFadden Facilitator RCWC Staff

One way of making some good stuffing tubes: (applies to other shaft sizes as well, but this list o stuff is for 1/8" rod)

Items/tools needed:

3/16"ID, 1/4" OD brass tube, seamless: www.mcmaster.com, www.smallparts.com

2X sintered bronze oil filled bushing: smallparts part number SBB-02/05

small tube cutter (the kind that you twist around the tube), ala http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-301-tube-cutters/large-diameter-mini-tube-cutter-603462.aspx

1X appropriately long 1/8" Dia rod, I preferr stainless steel.

Deburring tool: X-acto knife OK but be careful. I use this RCBS chamfer and deburring tool.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=143728&t=11082005

Instructions:

Cut brass tube to appropriate length for ship. deburr both ends and chamfer. Deburr and chamfer ends so that there is no metallic overhang left over from cutting the tube.

put blade of tube cutter 1/8" in from tube end (give or take) and slide in one bushing such that blade is over bushing with tube in between

Use tubing cutter just like you did to cut the tube but only cut halfway through, this crimps the tube into the bushing. This also centers the bushing.

depending on tolerance stackup the bushings may need to be tapped in or may slide in loosely.

Now slide rod through bushing, make certain both ends of rod are chamfered and deburred. slide other bushing onto rod and into the other end of the brass tube.

Repeat crimp process with tubing cutter. I will sometimes do two crimp lines if I feel anal. leaving the steel rod in helps align the bushings.

Rod may be a bit tight, in which case take some lapping compound (or 600 grid wet sandpaper) and your favorite drill and polish down a few tenths of a thousanth off the rod, if overly tight.

there you go, some good stuffing tubes. For an easier time filling the inside with grease, you can solder in a bit of tube at a right angle to allow a direct injection of grease with the rod in there. Or fill the tube with grease and push the rod through. Either works.

2. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

wow i had been trying with aluminum stuffing tubes with a .35 wall or .49 (which i have to drill out for a bushing). The tube I have is based on using the bushing from a traxxas villian. I believe the bushign is a 3/16 id. I didnt know about the cutting to crimp the end. The bearing I have now is .01 too small for the tube. I was planning to use a 3/16 shaft as I have had flex issues with the 1/8. This is exactly what I had been trying to do.

3. jadfer

jadfer Well-Known Member

I forgot the other reason. The traxxas are like 2 bucks for 10 bushings where small parts is 13.95. This is what I have been testing with: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGBH7&P=7