Sub warfare?

Discussion in 'General' started by wfirebaugh, Aug 5, 2015.

1. wfirebaugh

wfirebaugh Well-Known Member

How dose sub warfare work with the surface ships? rules and such I haven't seen any rules over them just wondering, or could I be pointed in the right direction.

2. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

Subs are more of a novelty in this hobby because of their small size. It would help to know what format (IRCWCC, big gun etc) you are inquiring about.

3. wfirebaugh

I think it would be fast gun I gess, are there rules for both?

4. absolutek

There are a few rules listed which pertain to the construction and operation of submarines in the IRCWCC rules (http://www.ircwcc.org/files/Bylaws_Rules/Rules_2013.htm), since they don't get torpedoes, they can only arm the deck gun and no pump for damage control is allowed.

5. wfirebaugh

subs are mentioned just a few times I saw in sections C.7.d, G, H, and I,. Battle when its considderd sunk, Pumps for balist, combat ship classes, and speed. not much to go on was there more in the rules? or any thing over construction methods how its to be built?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  6. absolutek

What more do you require?

7. wfirebaugh

construction methods how one would be built, I saw a you tube video where a builder had a plastic tube where everything was in it electric parts, and plunger for water intake/expultion of water with a body covering over it. with the plastic tube alone something like that would not sunk. Im gessing from the vacume of information not maney are built for this reason. are there plans on how to's or is my gess wrong? or am I just making too many asumtions?

8. wfirebaugh

the idea is to be able to sink. that one would not.

9. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Main reason there's not much info out there about subs is b/c in our scale (1:144) and time period (1906-46) even the very biggest subs are tiny. To my knowledge, one combat sub has been built and battled in the past 20 years. And since all that time and effort nets you a slow ship with only one gun.....

It's more a novelty than a true combat warship.

As far as build rules, it has to adhere to the same ones as surface ships. So # of ribs, penetrable windows, etc. just like you were building a surface ship. Only major difference is the "no damage control pump" rule.

10. wfirebaugh

I like a good challenge, I must think on this more of how to put one togeather to make it penable/sinkable. Im intrested in the design aspect of this.

11. irnuke

irnuke -->> C T D <<--

Strongly suggest you build a surface ship 1st. I literally can't count how many guys jump into this hobby full of enthusiasm and drop out never having completed a ship b/c they started with something difficult.

KeriMorgret likes this.
  12. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Not worth the return on time and investment. Been there, done that. EVEN if you could get it to work, you get a few BB's to shoot and spend all your time lining up a shot that will not sink anyone. Suggest subcommittee group if submarines are your passion.
    I could go on and on, but do whatever makes you happy.

13. wfirebaugh

Difficulty in building things has never been a issue... at the moment money is my bigest issue... Im making my ship plans collection along with creating my own plans from those drawings. I thought a sub would be nice idea for the future to design I have already made plans for my first cargo vessle a liberty ship 2 very diffrent designs and had recentley started a design for a Fletcher class destroyer its dificult to design a ship based off of a pdf of a Booklet of General Plans a first for me recentley.

14. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Not sure if it would be a help to you, but there is a set of Fletcher plans in the resource section. They're the same as the plans your working with but have hull sections.

15. absolutek

If you want to build a sub, get the i400 fibreglass hull from Ralph Coles (ralphster30@hotmail.com)

16. wfirebaugh

I'm a DIY person. the fletcher plans I have also has those hull cut outs. I cleaned up the drawings in Photoshop straitend out the center lines and such, injected them in to Delft ship to build a 3d model. after I made the floor plans and the and the cross sections for the ship and the side profile is nearley dead on when I skined the thing lettle work near the rear of the ship left but over all shape I'm happy.

17. Bob Pottle

Bob Pottle Well-Known Member

Ralph doesn't have an I-400 hull mold - I do. I have molds for the upper and lower hull, hangar and conning tower.

Ralph made and sold 4-5 I-400s from my molds in 2010 when I was too busy to produce them. I have requests for the last 2 I-400 hull kits in stock, but unless I get several more hull orders it isn't worth the expense of buying materials to produce only a couple of hulls. It would cost more for the bulk material purchases than I'd get from the sales.

I probably won't resume 1/144 hull production until I retire next summer and complete some new molds (Frobisher Class CA, Java Class CL, Imperator Pavel).

18. absolutek

Sorry Bob, must have gotten you too mixed up. How many hull orders would you need to make doing a run of i400's worthwhile?

19. wfirebaugh

have there been any ways to make a sub sink from taking hits? I can probubley think of a way to make one sink but was wondering how others had went about it.

20. SteveT44

SteveT44 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure your grasping the intent or basic mechanism's of the hobby. A combat ship (or sub) is basically a thin balsa skin wrapped around a hull shaped structural framework. The balsa skin must cover a least 85% of the length of the model and extend from the deck edge to 1" below the water line (in most formats). The balsa skin must be easily penetrable by bb's. The intent is to apply enough bb holes in your opponent to overwhelm his inherent buoyancy and pumping capacity. That's how you get a sink.