subdeck alternatives

Discussion in 'Construction' started by Evil Joker, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

what can i use besides 1/8 ply wood

2. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Well, you could use 3/16" plywood, or 1/4" plywood. Or, if you're really stingy on weight, you could use 1/16" plywood...

Does that answer your question, or are you asking about alternative materials to plywood? I've seen several other woods used, along with plastic (polycarbonate, I think), and one person even fiberglassed metal into his boat to use as a subdeck. Personally, I prefer aircraft-grade baltic birch plywood. I find it easy to work with, reliable, and it looks good, unlike scratched-up plastic or holy rusted metal.

3. Evil Joker

Evil Joker Member

alternative materials to plywood plastic maybe but u can put wood skin on top. has it been done

4. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I'm using fiberglass sheet for my deck, but I'm using a 3/16" subdeck.

5. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I make make my subdecks out of spruce usually 48X3/8X1/4". I then lay a deck rim on top of the subdeck made out of 1/8X1/4" aircraft plywood. This method has worked for me for years and looks very clean when completed.
    Thanks,

6. Lou

Lou It's just toy boats -->> C T D <<-- Admiral (Supporter)

Check out the cleveland build, I am using 1/8th for the sub-deck and top deck. It's inexpensive when you consider you can cut it with a jig saw or sissors (heavy-duty), doesn't need waterproofing (and no extra weight), and sands smooth.