Submarine build

Discussion in 'General' started by U571, May 7, 2008.

1. U571

U571 Member

Hi all! Im going to build an RC combat sub. I know there are alot of people who think sub building is a waste of time. So if you are one of them, please dont bother posting. Ok, what parts on the sub have to be balsa? I mean no sub skipper is gonna expose the sides to enemy fire. Or do I just need to make the deck balsa? Also, does anyone have any pictures or info on electronic layouts? Thanks for the help.

2. JasonC

JasonC Active Member

ok first thing what club/scale are you building at this plays i big deal when coming the balsa. then seconf what class of sub of sup are you building if ur planning on building a 1/144 type IIV then u may have alota trouble cause it will only be 18" long and weight 1.5 lbs. i only say the type IIV in reffenc to your name

3. U571

U571 Member

Im really gyrating to 1:144 scale. As for the sub, its a toss-up between the I-400 or a Gato class. I will be building it for Big Gun combat.

4. U571

U571 Member

If I decide to build a bigger one it will be the 1:72 Gato

5. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Hey, are you by chance a fellow Submariner? I am in the Canadian Navy on the submarine Windsor. Welcome to the forums and to the hobby.
    The I-400 is bigger that the Gato, not to mention cooler just because of the hanger. The requirement for room is critical so bogger is better. If you go to http://www.puremtc.com/index.htm it has some cool stuff for subs. In the "General" forum on the third page the "combat subs, do's and no no's" has alot of info and opinions.
    Have fun, Jay

6. Mark

Mark Active Member

welcome to the madness:) I have a couple of I-400's under construction and will be making a plug for Tug (as soon as he finishes the turrets). they are in 1/96 scale, so fully submerged they are around 16lbs and won't suffer too much from weight problems. I'm trying real hard to set aside some time to start work on the TT system but other priorities and all. I'll be interested to see how you build yours

7. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

U-man, if you're contemplating 1/144 submainre goodness, and you lean American, have you thought about the USS Argonaut (V-4)? It's smaller than I-400, but bigger than the Gato, and it gets 2 deck guns + minelaying :)

Jay, why didn't you say you were a submariner? I spent several years aboard USS Albuquerque (SSN-706) :)

8. U571

U571 Member

pamnjay - No this is my first time having an account. Yes puremtc looks like they have good electronics in small packages. :)
    Hey Mark, good luck with yours. I think most of my problems will come with selecting a radio, and torpedo tube setup. (C02, air hose, valves. etc...)
    Tugboat - I had never seen the USS Argonaut before, since it is bigger, and looks cool, I'm definity checking it out.
    Anyone know what parts of the sub have to be balsa?
    Thanks for the help. :)

9. U571

U571 Member

Thanks you guys for the help,
    There are some transmitters on http://www.puremtc.com would anyone recomend one of them, or are they to cheap?

10. U571

U571 Member

Hey Mark, Do you have
    any pics of your work on the subs?

11. Tugboat

Nathan, the parts that have to be balsa depend on which club you want to battle with. For all of them, the sides from the 45 degree line on top (where the angle of the hull is 45 degrees from horizontal), down to either 1" below the waterline, or the lower 45 degree line, must be balsa.

Some clubs require the top surface to be balsa also, but I can't speak with authority on which ones do. MWC does not, nor does Battlestations. I don't think that the IRCWCC does, either.

12. U571

U571 Member

thanks for the help

13. Mark

Mark Active Member

go to the file manager, look under my name and you can see some photos of sub and othe projects

14. U571

U571 Member

How do I get to the file manager?

15. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

In the upper right corner of the screen, you'll find a menu with:
    Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
    Click on home.

Then, on the left hand side of the screen, you'll find the main menu. Scroll down to "member services", and you'll find the File Manager.

Does that help?

16. U571

U571 Member

Thanks [:)]

17. U571

U571 Member

I would like to design the sub to fit dynamic diving gear from puremtc.com, Two torpedo tubes, maybe a fish finder mounted in the bow for a type of sonar, and a detachable underwater wireless camera for targeting ships. (If I have enough room, we shall see, I'll keep you posted).

18. Jay Jennings

Jay Jennings Well-Known Member

Excellent, it is nice to have others who only see cross hairs on ships. What was job onboard?

19. Tugboat

They sell static diving gear, I thought. Dynamic diving means that you have to keep moving to stay submerged. Static diving is you can dive without moving, sit around, pick your nose, eat a bologna sandwich, hit a button and pop up. More or less.

Dynamic diving is easy to do, static diving is the tougher one (in scale).

20. U571

U571 Member

Ok, thanks for the tip Tugboat. I didnt know which was better. I will definitly go with
    thier static diving ballast tank.