Submarine build

Discussion in 'General' started by U571, May 7, 2008.

1. U571

U571 Member

Thanks for the info Tugboat,
    I didn't know that static diving equipment was better, so that's what I'm looking into now. Here is a link:

http://puremtc.com/products/rc_sub_items/index.htm

I will most likely be using the Static diving Waterproof Control Propulsion Unit(SD-WPCPU).
    Let me know what you think. Also could you take a look at the transmitters on the puremtc.com website and let me know if you think one of them would be good for submarine use.
    Thanks.

2. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

Hey u571 Subs are boats not ships. And in RC Combat "they" are targets". :)

3. U571

U571 Member

lol

4. Gettysburg114th

Gettysburg114th Well-Known Member

I love subs. I had a 1/32nd scale Type VII a while back. Very nice kit. $$$$$

5. U571

U571 Member

I'm planning on outfitting the sub with two forward firing torpedo tubes, installing a wireless fish finder in the bow , and using a detachable wireless camera. (cam comes with a head-goggles type display). fish finder used like sonar, to be able to stay as far under and out of view as possible. I will use cam for targeting.

6. U571

U571 Member

Oh I'm Good!
    50 post in two days!
    Yeeeah Boy!
    lol...ok back to the topic now. lol [:)]

7. U571

U571 Member

pamnjay - I have a design that im considering building a prototype of and testing. Its a design for a static diving ballast tank. I will try scanning and posting it here so you can view it and let me know what you think. My computer might not work right though, (it hardly ever does) but I'll let you know.

8. Kotori87

Kotori87 Well-Known Member

Slow down a bit there, sport! You're posting so fast it's making my head spin!

I've got a question about the PureMTC ballast tanks. If the variable resistor you use is shorter than the length of your ballast tank, do you still get to use the full range of motion that the ballast tank can provide? Right now, I'm picturing a certain length of the ballast tank is used to lower the sub from scale waterline to periscope depth, in a sort of on/off position control. Then the range that the potentiometer covers is used for finer tuning, like 1 foot depth, 4 feet depth, etc. Would this be an accurate assumption? I can't tell from the diagrams and really little pictures and videos that they provide.

9. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

I dunno, I'm not using their system, although it looks cool.

10. U571

U571 Member

I think thats how it operates. I have seen better videos of subs using almost the exact same ballast tank. I'm not exactly sure what controller inputs you have to give. But they seem to work good. I you watch on youtube, most of thier ballast tanks are just enlarged versions.

11. U571

U571 Member

I used to be in model rocketry and this gave me an idea: The smallest motor size there is, is 'bout 3/4 of an inch long and a little less than 1/4 inch wide. So if you took a piece of brass tube for you torpedo and a bearing and solderd it to the tubing. Then rigged a kind of firing system in the sub. Pushing the motor into the tube until it touches the bearing. (and you cant see the end anymore) [These rocket motors only go about 2O ft. in the air, so it should be alot less underwater]. What do you think?

12. DarrenScott

DarrenScott -->> C T D <<--

Sorry Nathan, pyrotechnics are expressly verboten in most if not all clubs.

13. U571

U571 Member

Ok. I think I'll look into
    spring powered torps.