Submarines?

Discussion in 'Ship Comparison' started by David, Feb 25, 2009.

1. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

Click here to see a nice picture of a ship launching hedgehogs.

2. Gascan

Gascan Active Member

Historically, the hedgehog was a very effective Anti-submarine weapon. It could be fired forward, so SONAR could maintain contact. A hit almost always meant a kill.
    Regarding the model weapon, I'll quote a Queens Own member from another forum:
    As I understand it, the idea was to fire a small burst of bbs upwards at a very low velocity and a high arc like a mortar. If the shots landed close enough, the combat director would call the submarine sunk.

3. eljefe

eljefe Active Member

I can see why the scoring system was so unpopular. Too much subjectivity.

4. Tachikaze

Tachikaze New Member

The submarine has a seperate upper superstructure that can be scored, but the issue was the actual sinking of the boat. That is why we came up with the idea of a sealed area above the center of bouyancy of the boat, so that when a round penetrates it, and she starts to take on water, the trim becomes an issue and you can declare a sink.
    The hedgehog that was used in the game was a multiround gun that shot about 10 rounds up into the air, the pattern of impact on the water, if on or around the sub was declared a sink. Those of us in the submarines felt that this was too weighted in the favor of the surface ships.
    So for now, we have not worked the sub back into the game, too much debate now on bringing BBs into the game. There a 4-6 on the table now and we have not agreed on the arming of them yet.