Suffren Build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by Beaver, Apr 29, 2013.

1. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Well-Known Member

From one of your posts yesterday it sounds like the card worked and then died. These cards aren't known for being robust, but they are also only like $6 so really what do you expect. I'd guess that the card probably died, they do that randomly from time to time no idea why. Anyway order a new card (or three) in your next order. Also I didnt see if you said you tried programming the ESC without the card or not, that should at least let you know if the ESC is working on not. The card is super easy, especially lakeside, but doing it with the beeps and boops isn't really that terrible.

2. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

RCEGNER: Thanks for the suggestion. Looking at the manual, I think everything is hooked up right. I've never heard of programing with the radio, how does that work?

Nick: Wouldn't that be the same as just rotating one of the leads? I've done that to no avail.

Snipe: I'm not sure if the card died or I accidentally pulled the plug. Because when I did that test I was only holding the power leads in the battery sockets, which cause frequent power shutoffs. I've tried messing around with the KEY method, but nothing ever happens. I've just noticed that when I do power up the ESC and the red light flashes, I can hear a faint constant beeping. I'm not sure what it means, but it doesn't stop when pressing the KEY button.

If I plug a non-programmable ESC into the programing card will the card turn on, or not? Because if it should turn on, the card is junk, if not it's probably the ESC.

Thanks for all the help so far. It's nice to know there are people out there that can help me when I need it. :)

3. absolutek

absolutek -->> C T D <<--

If you plug the ESC into your RX, power your TX up, then power the ESC up, and it still flashes red, it means its not getting a signal. If it doesn't work that way, then plugging it into different programming cards (working or not) is not going to help.

4. Beaver

It must not be getting signal then. ESC still flashes after doing the above. So what should I do if it's not getting a signal? Is it beyond the point of fixing?
    Also when I hook up the motor to the ESC, it beeps 2-3 times per second. I don't if that is relevant or not.

5. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The constant beeping means that it is not receiving a valid R/C signal. Hook it up to your receiver and turn on your transmitter. Once it receives a valid signal it should arm and work.
    I have one of those programming cards and it lights up immediately when I connect a battery to the ESC. So I think your programmer is probably broken.

6. Beaver

Something must not be right then, because it still beeps after its hooked up to the receiver and the transmitter is on. I wonder if something is wrong with my cord?
    That ESC you used, is it a plug and go, or a programmable one?

7. rcengr

rcengr Vendor

The ESC I checked today was a Hobby King 10amp brushless car controller, so not quite the same ESC but in the same series. It is plug and play in sense that you can plug it in right out of the package and it will run a brushless motor. Programing is required to get the right features for combat, but not just to run.
    Verify that your receiver is bound by hooking up a servo and making sure it works. If the servo works, I would reverse the plug on the ESC one more time and then give up if it still doesn't work.

8. Beaver

It looks like my ESC is junk. Plus it also seems that my programing card is defunct as well. Big disappointment since I only had one of those ESC's.
    So I guess I'll need to make another order from HK before this ship will be on the water.

Question for those that have completed ships.
    I've been putting foam into the ribs the last few days, and all that remains is the stern area. I'm not sure what the best way to word this question is, but here goes.
    Where the stern curves up to make room for the prop and rudders, the rib bottoms are at different levels of height. What is the best way to fill this area in so that the water will drain to the pump? Should it be like steps from rib to rib with a slight downward angle, or should it be like a slide straight to the bottom, or nothing at all?
    Does that make any sense? :)

Here are some photos of my progress so far.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Beaver

I looking through my motors and ESC's today, and I noticed that I had made a big no no.

The two motors that I bought for my ship are rated for at least 50amp ESC's, but I didn't know that when I bought them and instead got 30amp ones.
    So, faced with this dilemma I went looking for higher rated ESC's.
    Will these work, or are the better options?

Drive ESC: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__11743__HobbyKing_Brushless_Car_ESC_60A_w_Reverse.html

Pump: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__17615__Hobbyking_SS_Series_40_50A_ESC_Opto_only_US_Warehouse_.html

10. absolutek

I use the first one, works great, easy to waterproof, will work with your programming card.

11. Beaver

Ok, going to order that.

Changed my mind on the pump ESC. Now going with this one. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__22520__Hobbyking_SS_Series_50_60A_ESC_USA_Warehouse_.html

Looks like my programming card is junk. I had a ESC hooked up to the RX and was running servos off of it, so I switched it to the PG and nothing happened. ( the screen wouldn't even turn on) So I'm assuming it's junk. :(

12. Tugboat

Tugboat Facilitator RCWC Staff Admiral (Supporter)

Did you have a power source connected?

13. Beaver

Yes, which is what puzzles me. The light will flash inside the ESC, but no power goes out through the RX cord. ( I assume no power goes out since nothing will work when the cord is plugged in) So that must mean that the ESC is getting power but it's not getting to the prongs. What could be causing this?

14. absolutek

I know its a possibility that the programming card is no good, but I think it may just be the esc is no good (and is not sending any kind of signal to the programming card). Are you planning on trying to make IRC nats?

15. Beaver

Yeah, I think it's the ESC, but I'm not so sure the card isn't junk either. Anyway, big disappointment, but it's better than me going to a battle and having my ESC fried and not being able to participate in the fun. :)
    Yup, I want to have Suffren done so I can battle her there, but I don't know if I'll have time. If I don't, I'll probably just go to meet everybody. :)

16. absolutek

I may try and borrow an extra boat to bring with me, but I'm sure others will have something you can run. Just try and get the Suffern done, you have 68 days.

17. Beaver

That's not too much time, but there's not too much left to do either.
    Let's see, as far as I can tell, this is all that needs done yet.

Glue in the foam then put on a 1/8" layer of concrete sealer.
    Install the drive chain.
    Buy and install a pump.(Do you have one for sale Tuggy?) :)
    Buy a Co2 bottle and regulator.
    Buy guns.
    Install all of that sheet the sides and perform sea trials.
    I think that's just about it. Anything missing?

18. absolutek

19. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

stealth cruisers don't need SS

67 days is lots of time, unless you work at a glacial pace like I do lately :) 5-10 minutes a day will get you there.

20. Beaver

LOL True, very true. :) I guess if I don't have time to make something nice, there's always cardboard and hot glue. :)

I just finished gluing in 2/3 of the foam. Just the stern is left, which is where I need to ask a question.
    For the past few days I've been trying to figure out how I should lay foam in the stern.
    The red and green lines represent the top of the foam. The green example just slopes from rib to rib right down to the WC, whereas the red one is like steps from rib to rib down to the WC. Which would be the best option?

[​IMG]