Suffren qc build

Discussion in 'Warship Builds' started by nativecaptain, Jun 4, 2017.

1. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Hello again

It's been awhile since I've I time to enjoy this hobby. I recently finished University and planning to drive right back in.

Next ship will be the suffren. Been looking over the last month at ships. I remember the difficult areas with building liberty. She runs but not completed the decks and super structure are gone. Leaving her alone for the time being and still debating whether to add one gun to her.

Suffren will be a wooden hull with gun and pump pruchased. Rib plans are from Beaver, thanks for the perfect timing in posting those plans.

Ribs are drawn and still drafting the keel. Want to have both drawn before starting to cut.

Beaver likes this.
  2. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Hello everyone

Been slowly working on suffren over the last month, forgot how much cutting and sanding their is in this project. Got about 3/4 of the ribs cut and rough sanded. Still have to finish the template for the keel bow and stern section. Got 3/16 x 1/2 inch strips of wood for the water channel.

I know this is some time away but i am worried about the duel rudders steering system and drive shaft. Two areas that did not come out well in liberty.

Oh look at the time got to go to work. IMG_20170704_202853.jpg

Beaver likes this.
  3. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Wow thank you who ever coded the draft feature for replies, pressed X to close before realising I didnt post.

NickMyers likes this.
  4. Beaver

Beaver 2020 Rookie of the Year Admiral (Supporter)

Looking good! Can't wait to see it framed up.

5. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Same here.

6. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Couldn't wait till it was fully assumbled plus tired from using the cooping saw to cut out the bow keel.
    IMG_20170710_225000.jpg
    Liberty in the background finally found the top pieces for her in a box. IMG_20170710_225050.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    Beaver likes this.
  7. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Quick question on tolerances, is being a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch short on the total length OK? If not, can i increase the length of section out by 1/8" or less to make up the difference. Not sure how i made that mistake but 1/8 short on both the bow and stern keel section.

8. dietzer

dietzer Admiral (Supporter)

Check your rules to be sure, but I believe most formats allow a 1/2" tolerance on length.

9. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

That's what I found.

10. NickMyers

NickMyers Admin RCWC Staff

If you already had the hull framed up entirely I'd just build up the prow a little bit for the extra length probably. But you're still framing right? If so its an easy time to fix it and stretch the hull somewhere in the middle by the extra little bit.

11. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

thanks, and yes i can still stretch it in the middle section. i will have to adjust the deck template else nothing will fit.

12. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Hello

Progress has slowed down the last few weeks. Finally got a chance down to get some ribs slots cut. IMG_20170804_175130.jpg
    Only ones ribs left to do are the one with the water channel.

Any other quick question. When doing the template I forgot to measure down 1/8 for the top deck (think it called cap rail). Should I cut the top off and re notch all the ribs to make room for the top deck? Or is there some other way to do top deck so I don't add height?

Wanted to take a pic inside unfortunately the set up was unstable.
    IMG_20170804_175421.jpg

Beaver likes this.
  13. Beaver

Looking good!
    If it was me, I would leave the ribs alone and just put the deck on top. An 1/8in isn't gonna make a noticeable difference. Are you using 1/8in plywood for the subdeck?
    Before you glue it all together, drill a drain hole or two near the bottom of the first rib (bow side) just so people can't call it a bulkhead. It's a pain to do once it's assembled, trust me. ;)

nativecaptain likes this.
  14. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

That good to hear about the deck. Happy to not have to recut and sand all them peices. Will make the holes tonight so I don't forget.

15. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Hello

I got Suffren glued up noticed a few problem after the glue dried.
    IMG_20170907_185355.jpg
    Had to break the rib to fix the mid secetion being concave.
    IMG_20170907_185842.jpg

My last concren is the keel on the bow section being turned up.
    IMG_20170907_185415.jpg

I'm really happy to have the skeleton glued up. Looking forward to doing the hard section next.

I know go to start looking at the electrical components and the CANNONS.

Beaver likes this.
  16. Beaver

It's coming along! Nice work! :)
    You should be able to correct the lifting bow when you block in the bottom with balsa. Cut the pieces a little long so they push the bow down. Doesn't take much, might take a little sanding to get it perfect.
    Try to get the hull finished before you worry about internals. I'd get the hard area balsa glued and sanded, drive shaft installed, fiberglassed, and the hull waterproofed before you move on to installing the goodies. :)

17. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

I'm confused. How does adding extra length to blocking at bottom bring the bow down? I could be wrong but I thought I have lengthen the deck or shorten the keel.

18. Panzer

Panzer Iron Dog Shipwerks and CiderHaus

The top forward edge of your block is slightly longer than the forward bottom edge, which should force the bow forward and down, thereby causing it to straighten out(flatten out kinda):doze: at least I believe that's what Beaver is saying.(my interpretation) It seems like it should work to me. hopefully some more of the wood gurus will chime in:whistling::whistling:

19. nativecaptain

nativecaptain Member

Oh the blocking under the deck. I get it now.

20. Beaver

It sounds confusing, but your using the force of the balsa to push the bow down. As long as there isn't some serious misalignment between the keel and subdeck you should be able to flatten it out when you block in the hard area.